Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs and Stratton 23 HP Intek problems

This is a discussion on Briggs and Stratton 23 HP Intek problems within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 Riding lawn mower with a Briggs 445577-0755-e1 engine. Its is 23 hp with a Nikki

Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Husqvarna YTH2348 Riding lawn mower with a Briggs 445577-0755-e1 engine. Its is 23 hp with a Nikki carb.
It stopped running last year because of bad gas I think. I drained all the gas and replaced it with fresh.
It would start but was shooting gas and oil out of the exhaust.
I cleaned the carb out and changed the oil and it did the same thing.
I put a kit in the carb still did the same thing.
I installed new head gaskets and adjusted the valve to 0.004", it started and I ran it for about 30 mins with no problems.
The next day when I tried to start it , it would start run for about 3 to 5 sec. then die and gas would shoot out of the intake.
I installed a new carb and checked the valve adjustment and it still does the same thing.
Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

I moved your post to the small engine forum, as it a better fit there.

Still kind of sounds like valves, except that is ran well, for a short period time.

Did you adjust the valves when the pistons (each one separately) at
top dead center ?

BG

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your reply.

The way I adjusted the valves was I would rotate the engine by hand till the intake valve springs was fully compressed and then adjust to exhaust valve. Then rotate the engine till the exhaust valve springs was fully compressed and adjust the intake.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Moderator Offline

I would still check the book way, piston at TDC.

Briggs "Easy Spin" cams where ground a little tad off, that is the compression release to make them easier to start.

Guess it is an easy thing to check :>)

BG

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

I readjusted the valves and now the engine is running fine. I cut my grass today with no problems and the mower seemed to run better than it did before. The real test will be if it still run good next week.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
Moderator Offline

Good luck. I think Briggs says to adjust the valves every season.

BG

Old 06-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Registered Member

Well, my mower ran well the first time I used it but now it is doing the same as before. I checked the valve adjustment put in new plugs and it would run at half speed when I go to full throttle the engine bogs down and dies.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Moderator Offline

Thats really sounds like a carb problem. If you can, try adjusting it.

I have had pretty good luck with adding "Seafoam" to the gas. It is a good cleaner.
I do use twice the amount the label says.

BG