Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

Briggs and stratton 12h820 2460

This is a discussion on Briggs and stratton 12h820 2460 within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help Governor stopped working I removed the unit but there is no apparent problem. i do you know if it

Old 07-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Help Governor stopped working I removed the unit but there is no apparent problem. i do you know if it is bad??Now when you reinstall it how do you line it up with the shaft when you are installing the cover ?? Please help i need to get mowing again !! The only way the engine runs if I control the idle the governor does nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 055.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	94926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 050.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	94927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 048.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	94928  

Old 07-16-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

You kinda have to jiggle the engine to align the shaft with the sump cover journal. Once you put it all back together (everything carburator and linkages) you have to slide the governor arm onto the governor shaft then hold the shaft all the way counter clock wise and the throttle wide open (full throttle). Tighten the governor arm on the governor shaft and that's the adjustment.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the help .

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Briggs and Stratton 18hp VTwin
I have a Briggs and Stratton 18 hp Vtwin on my Woods 6180 mower and am having problems with oil sucking up into the air filter. I am using straight number 40 engine oil. I have it filled to the dipstick mark or maybe a little below. The mower has approximately 650 hours on it. Any ideas what...
Chevyman22360 Small Engines 3 07-16-2011 03:50 AM
Briggs & Stratton 15.5h quits running
I have a newly rebuilt 15.5h Briggs & Stratton motor on my rider. When the fuel tank is about 1/4 full (about 1/2 gallon) it sputters and shuts off like it's out of gas. I've replaced the fuel filter and drained out gas and put in new gas. Filled it almost full and it ran fine, but when it got to...
RustedE150 Small Engines 2 06-13-2011 06:04 AM
18 hp Briggs & Stratton Engine Problem
I Have a Craftsman 917.272751 riding mower with an 18hp briggs & stratton engine. The engine popped (didn't sound like a backfire)and shut off and will not start. It doesn't sound like it is firing when I try to start it. Any and all help in trying to determine the problem would be greatlly...
cbrmay79 Small Engines 1 05-18-2011 02:32 PM
briggs and stratton 20hp intec carb problem
dual barrel carb.....the engine starts on full choke, as you start to slide choke in rpms ramp up to a scary point. the throttle lever seems to give no response, at the engine when it is running the throttle/governer linkage is clear against idle screw. but if i take off choke it is like the thing...
prowler19762001 Small Engines 5 04-26-2011 10:33 AM
briggs and stratton intermittent spark
i have a briggs and stratton motor fitted to a scott bonnar mower. the engine was new about 5 years ago and has not missed a beat. recently it has intermittently refused to start and checking the spark plug there in so spark. i cleaned and tested the spark plug with no spark.in the end i pulled the...
kowalskichris Small Engines 2 04-02-2011 06:30 PM