Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

B&S 3.5hp surging, bad choke spring?

This is a discussion on B&S 3.5hp surging, bad choke spring? within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Edger with B&S 3.5hp model 9J902. Friend gave it to me and said it was the choke spring. How can

Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Edger with B&S 3.5hp model 9J902. Friend gave it to me and said it was the choke spring.

How can I be sure, before I replace it?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Gearhead

My System

I think engine surging is more often a symptom of governor issues rather than a choke spring.

If the choke is on too far - the engine will run poorly and exhaust black smoke - if even more choke is on - it won't run at all.

See if your governor linkages a clear of mud and grass and once clean try giving all the links a good spray of WD40 or similar - see if that helps

Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Gearhead

My System

See if the attached governor adjustment / setup notes helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B&S Governor Adjustments.pdf (240.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Registered Member

tks 12345
Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
K-B
Engines are Afeared of Me

My System

Check the carburetor condition as well. The #1 cause of surging, or "hunting" is partially blocked jets in the carburetor. Try slowing moving the choke into position...if the engine starts running smoother, your problem is in the carburetor.