Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

B&S 25HP Intek Charging System Question

This is a discussion on B&S 25HP Intek Charging System Question within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a JD Lawn tractor with the 25HP Intek v-twin engine. It began blowing the 20 amp fuse shortly

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a JD Lawn tractor with the 25HP Intek v-twin engine. It began blowing the 20 amp fuse shortly after warm up. I isolated the problem to the charging system, i.e. the stator and regulator. I've tested the ac voltage output of the stator and it's in spec, so I concluded the problem must be in the regulator. However, I found that either stator lead, with the engine off, shows zero ohms to ground (key on or off) which doesn't seem right. B&S doesn't show a spec for stator resistance to ground. I'm wondering if the stator is shorted to ground and causing the fuse to blow. Should I just replace the stator and regulator?

Rob

Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Registered Member

Update: I pulled the stator and sure enough, it's fried. Blackened insulation bubbling on all the coils and shorted to the armature. Amazingly it could still pass B&S spec for AC output voltage.

Note to those with regulated charging system problems: In addition to all tests indicated in B&S manual, make sure you test continuity of the stator coils to ground (engine stopped). It should show open circuit. Just probe either lead from the stator (unplugged from the regulator) and measure resistance to ground. Any reading other than open circuit means the stator has shorted and needs replacing. I don't have a clue why Briggs doesn't include this test in their normal diagnostics.

I've order a new stator and regulator from B&S, and I'll post another update after I install those.

Rob

Old 04-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Moderator Offline

Thanks for keeping us posted.

When you start talking about service manuals, not repair manuals you are talking about a "tool". As we all know tools cost money.

I could not find anything about it.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member

Update: I replaced the stator coil (alternator) and regulator, and I'm back in business. Charging in nominal and no more fuse blowing!

Root cause remains a mystery- the coil looked deep-fried and was shorted to the block, and the regulator looked distinctly unhappy too, although I wasn't able to test it.

If you start blowing fuses, don't forget to check the charging system!