Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Small Engines

B&S 17.5 hp backfiring from exhaust

This is a discussion on B&S 17.5 hp backfiring from exhaust within the Small Engines forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The enging in my riding mower is a 17.5 hp B&S. It is backfiring from the exhaust and the throttle

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

The enging in my riding mower is a 17.5 hp B&S. It is backfiring from the exhaust and the throttle is hunting. Originally I thought I had carb problem. Have had the carb off several times to check, recheck. Have checked, set, reset the valve clearances. Have checked and replaced the flywheel key. Air gap been set. Before all this, it was blowing back through the carb. Isn't doing that anymore. According to owners manual, valves should be set with piston 6mm past TDC. Since I don't have a dial indicator, am guessing at this. But I know that this is a very small measurement (@1/16"?). How critical is it that the vales be set at exactly 6mm past TDC? Since I have ,IMHO, check out the minor stuff, I am thinking that there may be something internal wrong. Possible burnt valve, blown head gasket, crank timing gear key broken. This thing will not win the battle. Any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi and welcome to TSF

Try the valve adjustment again. 6mm is closer to a ¼ inch. It could make the difference. ( I assuming that your other info is correct)

BG

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Question

I rechecked the valve settings and it did make a difference. I still have a problem with the engine speed hunting. Will double check the governor setting. If I understand correctly, if the governor shaft pushes the throttle arm clockwise then the governor shaft should be adjusted clockwise and visa-versa. Correct?