Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

25 KW Generac Generator Starts and stops won't run

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  geninstall 
#1 ·
I have a 25 KW Generac Generator Model 0047260. It starts and stops the engine running and loosing voltage that feeds the starter, making a clicking noise. First I thought it was the starter and replaced that (the gears were damaged). Spoke to a Generac tech (I am gas certified and this is a propane powered generator)He said to replace the oil pressure switch, low coolant switch, hi temp coolant switch. It is still doing the same thing! Today I noticed when it is starting and stopping the gears on the starter motor are slamming into the gears on the fly wheel and arching. I'm stumped! everything that could be wrong with this has been changed!

#2 · (Edited)
Hi and welcome to TSF

Wow, big one ! It is pretty much a car engine size.

If the starter engages to much, it may need shim(s) between the starter and bell housing. Be Sure the flywheel gear is not chewed up.

Not sure where you are seeing sparks, starters are usually totally enclosed.

BG

#3 ·
Have you tried a known good starter relay as you write that you hear clicking sounds? Bad contacts can lost of voltage.

As for the arcing at the starter gear. I would say is an internal short in the starter or poor case grounding. Being a new starter it still can be bad.

#4 ·
The Sparks are coming from when the gears of the starter Motor slam in to the gears of the fly wheel causing the spark. The flywheel isn't chewed up bad at all yet. The starter motor is disengaging after the motor has started which I think is normal. What is wrong is after the starter motor shuts off and the generator motor is running the starter starts again. That is when it is slamming into the flywheel causing the sparks and then after a couple of times of this the generator goes into lockout. Maybe the centrifugal switch that closes by the motor running that is inside one of the pulleys that spins from the serpentine belt is going bad. Possibly the generator control board does not know the motor it is running so the starter motor is trying to start again while the generator motor is already in operation.

#6 ·
I would agree with Basementgeek on this as this does sound like a controller problem or a run detect sensor not working. I look over the diagram that are in the owners manual they don't show any but these diagrams are not always cover everything for the owner.

#7 ·
Check to see if unit is producing voltage.The controller needs to see this ( ie Rpms/ hertz) to disengage starter upon start up. Had one doing the same thing recently, turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. It will depend on how old your unit is on whether the avr is separate unit or part of main control board

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.