Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Car Audio and Alarms

[SOLVED] New Sony gt56uix stereo has power but won't turn on

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New Sony gt56uix stereo has power but won't turn on within the Car Audio and Alarms forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have installed a sony cdx gt56uiw in a 2003 ford focus (baupunkt). I have power to the stereo

Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have installed a sony cdx gt56uiw in a 2003 ford focus (baupunkt). I have power to the stereo as it will accept cds and will eject them if i hit the eject button. However the display and sound will not come on. I have held down every button. Any experience with this stereo?

Old 02-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Automotive Team

which harness did you use? Or did you cut the factory harness?

"Any advice given on this forum is intended for helping and assisting the end user with their issue at hand. Personal safety is important when working on any vehicle."
lcurle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

I bought a harness from audio dynamics. It is a bluewave BW-H-VW87 (The blaupunkt system used a Volkswagen harness).

ANNNND like an idiot i just now actually read the back which has that illumination and the dimmer are the orange wires (not hooked up) *facepalm*

My question now is, do I hook those up with the red as well?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ok I take that back...
From the wiring harness I have a black ground wire and an orange/white dimmer wire, but all the wires from the new stereo itself are hooked up with their matching colors.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

I took the sony back thinking that it must be the unit because it was getting power. I bought a comparable pioneer. Wired it up and... nothing again. Beats me.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member

We tested the yellow(battery) connection all the way through the stereo harness. It is getting power. I just can't get the thing to turn on.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Automotive Team

this is what I would do:
Pull the plug out of the radio and with a DMM (Digital Multi Meter) set it to 20v and put the ground probe on the ground wire, then hit the yellow, make sure it has power, then turn the key to the on position and make sure the red wire is hot. This will check the radio circuit.

"Any advice given on this forum is intended for helping and assisting the end user with their issue at hand. Personal safety is important when working on any vehicle."
lcurle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Registered Member

Mark this one solved: as I said, we knew we had power. What our problem was was a blown fuse in the car *facepalm*. I also found out later that if you have a blaupunkt system which uses a VW harness, you have to wire the red to yellow and vice versa, otherwise your system won't get constant 12V and will lose its memory with every shut off.

Thanks for the help though
Old 03-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Moderator Offline

Thanks for letting us know. I will mark it solved per you request.

BG

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote