Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

XP upgrade

5K views 49 replies 15 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
Hi - with XP support ending, i thought i'd upgrade from 32bit XP to 64bit Win7. And i thought i'd take the opportunity to install my new OS on to a new 64GB SSD hard drive rather than the current 100GB partition on my main 1TB harddrive.

I'm not a techy so any flaws in this plan - or any advvice/better suggestions - would be appreciated. I assume my mobo would be adequate to gain a speed advantage from the SSD, although it doesn't have the fastest SATA? Would i need more RAM? Don't want to spend too much as the pc does everything i want still and i wouldn't be doing anything if i didn't have to.

Thanks

Current Hardware:

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Q6600 Quad CPU
3 MB RAM
ITB HDD

#2 ·
Support for XP has been extended.\ and even after MS support has ended the OS will still work as it always has.
64GB will fill up very quickly after the OS and required programs are installed. I would want no less then a 120GB SSD.
I assume that's 3GB of RAM? Brand/specs/what configuration (i.e. 2+1GB - 3x1GB)?

#4 ·
Hi Tyree - i thought security updates were finishing in April, which would make my pc vulnerable?
At the moment i must have around 100 programs installed, but i'm using <20gb for these including the XP OS, so i assumed 64gb would be more than enough. I'll still have 1TB HDD for other storage.
Yes, it's 3GB RAM - 3x1GB - 800Mhz DDR2 i think.

#5 ·
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on a 120GB drive, (other programs on a separate 'spinner'), and I only have 46.8GB free.

#8 ·
With a SSD you need to keep roughly 20% free at all times.

For a Desktop machine I recommend at least 120GB and a 256GB for a Laptop. (Simply because most laptops can only hold one drive).

#15 ·
If you have anti virus software and a firewall you shouldn't have anything to worry about really.
Ditto ^

My apologies on the ending date. I thought I heard it was being extended.
But, regardless of ending support, it will continue to work the same as it always has.

#16 ·
It's the malicious software updates etc that is being extended.

Anyway it doesn't matter if its being ended or not, it will still work and if xp is handling a users needs now it will still handle those same needs in 1 million years time.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#19 ·
Even with MSE, XP still wouldn't be safe. Here's why:

In Microsoft's parlance, "end of life" means that the company will no longer write and issue security patches for XP. Many of those patches fix newly revealed vulnerabilities within the operating system itself. But after XP's EOL, any unpatched security holes will go unfixed. (See Microsoft's explanation; the April EOL also applies to Office 2003.)

You might think that all the major holes in XP have surely been found and patched by now! After all, XP's been out for 12 years.

Sadly, that's purely wishful thinking. As of September's Patch Tuesday, Microsoft had released, just in 2013, more than 80 system-level patches and updates specifically for XP — plus dozens of additional patches for XP-related ancillary software such as Microsoft Security Essentials!

You can see for yourself. Open Windows Update on your XP system and click the Review your update history link (in the window's left column, typically under Options). Note how many new patches there are — even 12 years into the game!

Despite extensive patching, XP is still far from perfect. Given its age and the number of XP systems still in use, the OS will remain an attractive target, possibly for years to come. In other words, when Microsoft stops writing patches for XP, it'll be open season for hackers.

Using good third-party apps and tools such as fully current browsers and anti-malware software will help keep you safe — but only up to a point. They'll do little or nothing to correct fundamental vulnerabilities in the base operating system.

There's also declining third-party support for XP. Few mainstream software vendors will continue investing in a dying market — even if that market is still huge. Moreover, the quantity of tools designed for XP is in sharp decline, a trend that will only accelerate.

There's no way to avoid the inevitable: after next April, XP will be far less safe than any of the more modern Windows versions. XP was truly great, but its day is done.
Source: Fred Langa - Windows Secrets Newsletter • Issue 415 • 2014-01-09

#20 ·
Thanks for all the replies, but the thrust of the question was more about the optimal hardware solution, given that i shall upgrade. Whether a 'low spec' ssd might be more prudent given my mobo sata, whether i might need more RAM - that sort of thing. Any further thoughts along these lines?

#21 ·
I'd max it out with 8GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and use at least a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro (or EVO) SSD. You can always use the SSD with another motherboard later.

#22 · (Edited)
XP will still work with no problems just as it always has without continued MS support but upgrading to 7 is an alternative.
Using the 3x1GB on a Dual Channel Mobo is putting you in Single Channel Mode and hindering performance.
Your Mobo will only accept 2GB Max per slot and I would be hesitant to suggest filling all the slots to get 8GB. A 2x2GB matched pair DDR2 800 would be fine but DDR 2 is pretty pricey.
That being said, 7 + SSD + RAM is a pretty hefty investment for older technology components.

#23 ·
There's no way to avoid the inevitable: XP is already far less safe than any of the more modern Windows versions. Even with the latest, gee wiz anti-whatever's installed, the bad guys will be able to get in through newly discovered holes in the rusty bucket of an OS.

IMHO, 8GB of Crucial RAM and a 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ($260 total USD) along with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit, would breath at least two more years of good useable life into that Core2 Quad Q6600 setup.

#24 ·
Personally, I would be very hesitant to invest $260 in older technology. The SSD and OS would be salvageable but nothing else.
In the end, it's the OP's decision.

#25 ·
While I agree its old hardware it is also quality hardware that I think is worth upgrading for and by replacing the main drive you buy even more time.

The primary function of Windows updates are for security patches so even though Antivirus and Antimalware will continue, that really isn't enough to be considered safe on such an old OS.

#26 ·
I would upgrade to windows 7 home premium OEM 64 Bit, certainly not ultimate to save money here. I would forgo the SSD for now and keep eyes open and improve some other things gradually over time - like the LCD (if needed) or keyboard, mouse, video card (moderate if you are a gamer) etc ... and other usability creature comforts. Then in a year or so look for price drops with SSD's if you see a great price for 256GB-500GB nab one. I would upgrade to 2x2GB or the 8GB of system memory though. 2x2 obviously being more feasible. Then by the time you are ready for that major upgrade to a new mobo. processor etc ... you will have some things already in place.

#27 ·
Thanks for all the considered hardware upgrade advice. I hadn't really considered the RAM question, but it seems that everyone is suggesting an upgrade to 2x2GB at least. Would i really gain much by going to 2x4gb? It's quite a major price consideration (roughly £50 difference) and i'm not a gamer. Samsung SSDs seem to be in favour here, but seem quite a bit more expensive than, say, crucial. Is there any particular advantage to this brand bearing in mind my mobo 3Gbs SATA connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.