Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

Upgrading PC desktop Need some advice.

This is a discussion on Upgrading PC desktop Need some advice. within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there guys I'm wanting to upgrade store bought Compaq Presario PC. Its a fairly old computer but its been

Old 12-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey there guys I'm wanting to upgrade store bought Compaq Presario PC. Its a fairly old computer but its been good to me. I'd like to keep it under $200 if i can. I know its an old mobo but I would like to not replace it if i can. Thank you hope someone can help.

Compaq Presario SR1700 Desktop PC series*-* Compaq Presario SR1711NX Desktop PC Product Specifications - c00576007 - HP Business Support Center

I have done a few mods myself to it,

I have 2.5 Gig's of ram installed from the originally 512mb
I use a ATI Radeon X1650 Pro Series Graphics card to.

That is it for personal mods.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

There's not a lot you can do to a 5 yr. old PC.
What do you need the PC to do that it won't do now?
Investing money into old technology is not a good option.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Well the absolute number one priority with this machine is a new barebone. You cannot expect a single core sempron to be quick in any fashion in today's world at all.

Provided you have a copy of windows this is what you should be looking into

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 AM3+ NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX

Thats what you SHOULD be looking into , putting money into that machine w/o fixing the elephant in the room just wouldn't be smart at all.
emosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Depending on where you live, quite often there are computers that are newer than your model that can be had for $50 - $100. In my area, a major metropolitan area, this is very true.

Then, you can build / replace components much easier and cheaper. Just be patient, know what you are looking for and you will succeed.

I got a free desktop due to a bad motherboard. After a couple of weeks of searching around for compatibility of the RAM and CPU, I found a $50 motherboard at Frys and now have a nice "new" computer.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
There's not a lot you can do to a 5 yr. old PC.
What do you need the PC to do that it won't do now?
Investing money into old technology is not a good option.

Well i was wanting to play FFXIV on my Desktop but after reading some of these posts i might as well build one. But if upgrading is possible i'd like to do that but now i'm unsure.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emosun View Post
Well the absolute number one priority with this machine is a new barebone. You cannot expect a single core sempron to be quick in any fashion in today's world at all.

Provided you have a copy of windows this is what you should be looking into

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-M68MT-S2 AM3+ NVIDIA GeForce 7025/nForce 630a chipset Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX

Thats what you SHOULD be looking into , putting money into that machine w/o fixing the elephant in the room just wouldn't be smart at all.
Say i was to purchase those, and i decided later on to build one could I reuse the mobo graphics and ram?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

Building is really the best option. Look over our suggested build list for ideas.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ly-448272.html
All of them are top quality and use only components that are top quality and known to be compatible.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Building is really the best option. Look over our suggested build list for ideas.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ly-448272.html
All of them are top quality and use only components that are top quality and known to be compatible.
thanks, i think i'm going to go that route i didnt know that this site had a list like that! It will help alot!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

When you have a list compiled post it here and we can advise accordingly.