Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

upgrade a old system pc

This is a discussion on upgrade a old system pc within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. after thinking for a while,i still want to upgrade my pentium 4 pc because it still running smoothly,tell me,what can

Old 03-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

after thinking for a while,i still want to upgrade my pentium 4 pc because it still running smoothly,tell me,what can i do and what is the best hardware configuration for me to upgrade it.i don't mind if it is expensive because i still want to use it.this is my pc specs,Intel Pentium 4, 2700 MHz,motherboard PM4266A-8235 from via technologies,2gb of ram,ati radeon 9600 xt 256 mb and standard psu,i am thinking to upgrade the graphic car and processor,i am using prescott p4 socket 478..friends,is there anything that i can do to tweak my pc?any ideas?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #2
Hardware Tech

My System

For gaming performance?

Your PSU is most likely very low-quality. OEM machines are built with cheap parts. Before any more upgrades I would install a top-quality PSU.

Your motherboard will not support any meaningful CPU upgrades. It's GPU slot is also AGP, which will not support any meaningful upgrades either. It will also not support memory sticks larger than 1gb, and only has two slots.

Your computer may yet have more life left in it, but as for upgrading there are no worthwhile options that I can see.

Your best bet looks like eventually just building a new PC. What kind of budget is available to you? What do you use your computer for?

Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

urmm..so my pc is not reliable to use now days anymore?i only use it to play old games like need for speed..and to do the assignments because i am an university students..because of it,i have a low budget..but,i also want to paly the new games but my pc specifications does not allowed me to play it..but i have considered to buy a
ECS H61H2-M2 LGA 1155 H61 Intel Motherboard because it is cheap and i think it is up to date with the new games..am i right?if not,please tell me..i have bought 1 sticks of ddr3 2gb ram..because of the low budget,what is the cheap processor that i can fit into this motherboard?what is the type of psu that i should buy?and can i use the hard disk and dvd drive from my old pc?but it use IDE..and the new system use SATA..any converter that i can use?and the graphic card..this thing make me sick because it is tooooo expensive....can you suggest the cheap and reliable that can run new games perfectly?i am so sorry man..i only can buy acheap ones because i am a student....please..help me..
Old 03-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Hardware Tech

My System

Problem is, everything inside your computer is so outdated that if you wanted to upgrade the motherboard, your old video card, processor, RAM, and probably even PSU wouldn't be compatible and would need to be replaced as well. The only practical course of action would be to start new.

You could build a machine that can play the newest games at medium-low for around $400 and have room to upgrade the video card in the future. Here's a sample I would start with:
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothman View Post
Problem is, everything inside your computer is so outdated that if you wanted to upgrade the motherboard, your old video card, processor, RAM, and probably even PSU wouldn't be compatible and would need to be replaced as well. The only practical course of action would be to start new.

You could build a machine that can play the newest games at medium-low for around $400 and have room to upgrade the video card in the future. Here's a sample I would start with:
Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
That's the best advice.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Same advice as above. Look over our suggested build list for ideas on components that are top quality.
Note the lack of any ECS Mobo's in those lists.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

i see...i have considered to buy a AMD Athlon 2 250 X-2 3.0GHZ processor,MOBO : ASUS M4N68T-M V2,Sapphire HD 5670 DDR5 512MB graphic card,is this configuration is okay or not?i have tried the link that you gave to me,but i cannot find the stuff in my place here..
Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Hardware Tech

My System

Oh I did not notice you were in Malaysia. That's kind of rough.

For processor, try to get a Phenom II x3 if you can. It will significantly outperform an Athlon dual-core in games. The motherboard you listed will support any of the Phenom II x3s.

That video card should game fine as long you're not using an HD monitor. If your monitor is 1080p, try and find one with 1gb of memory.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

The Mobo you selected uses Nvidia chipsets. Personally, I would want an AMD chipped Mobo if you're going to use an AMD CPU.
The 5670 is a decent GPU just be sure you use a good quality 550W minimum PSU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (nor the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

so?what is the good AMD mobo that can suit with Phenom II x3 cpu?i do not want to buy a wrong mobo because it will be a disaster to me because i am a student...
Old 03-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Ooudestomp Send a message via Yahoo to Ooudestomp

He means that the mobo has a Nvidia on board graphics chip, and that an AMD graphics chip would work better with and AMD CPU. This one would fit the bill:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ooudestomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Registered Member

alright!now i get it!first,i will check the stuff at my place is here because some of the stuff that all of you suggested to me,i cannot find it here because it is quite limited..i will tell you guys if there are anything that i want to ask...btw,thanks a lot friends!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Hardware Tech

My System

Sure thing. Make sure to post the full model number of any component you want to ask about.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Registered Member

hello guys,after wandering around at the pc shops for 2 days,i finally realize that many of that stuff that i want is not around....and i have to start all over again to find the stuff that is suit to my tight budget and with the lacked of stuff that are sold here...i have decided to buy a ecs mcp61m-m3 v7.1 mobo,AMD sempron 145 cpu,msi N210 1GB DDR3 graphic card and 4 gb or ram,450 watt psu and 500gb of hard disk....i wanted to buy AMD phenom cpu but it is tooooo expensive..i decided to use AMD sempron first and then upgrade it to phenom cpu...guys,do you think my hardware configuration is ok?can i play games like need for speed shift unleashed and DIRT3 with good graphic setting?can you guys help me?from what i knew after asked the shop keeper,they told me that ti is a nice hardware configuration and i can play those game with high setting..i afraid that i was being cheated because i am a noob in this pc world...i do not want to be cheat by the others..help me please...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

ECS Mobo's are pretty bottom of the barrel for quality and 450W's, if the PSU is top quality, is the bare minimum NOT using a dedicated GPU.
If you don't have the funds for good quality components at this time, I would suggest waiting until you do instead of wasting money on low quality parts and facing more expense in the near future.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
Registered Member

i am sorry man,but i cannot understand what you trying to explain to me..can you explain it again with the other words?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

i want to build this computer..i do not mind if the parts that i choose is a low quality products because i am going to sell it next year..and i want to build anew one next year because i already have enough money at that time..for a while,i want to build the new pc...please tell me,is it the hardware configuration is good?what is the good wattage for me to build this pc that can support those hardwares.. please..i am so confused right now..
Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #18

Basically.. The components you chose are not good. If you plan to sell it in the future and get some decent $ for it, you will need to buy better parts.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Registered Member

so?what i am going to do?what is the parts that i have chose that is not good enough?is it the mobo or graphic card?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Registered Member

it's hard to being a noob...i think i have to buy the hardware and try it like that storekeeper told me...