Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

Thanks for your help everyone! Posting from new PC

This is a discussion on Thanks for your help everyone! Posting from new PC within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I went with an Asus M5A97 board, the AMD FX 6200 core, XFX 6770 HD Radeon - windows 7 64

Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I went with an Asus M5A97 board, the AMD FX 6200 core, XFX 6770 HD Radeon - windows 7 64 bit. Nice corsair TX650 PSU as well. Cooler master 212 Evo cooler.

I am very impressed wtih how quiet the PC is compared to the tiny fans on my AMD 64 Athlon 3200+ and old BFG 6800 GS. Recording will be much improved with the lower room noise.

I am also impressed with how well the 100 dollar HD 6770 is doing. Plays Deus Ex and other games at full res!

One question - if I want to get into games more - what is a good card for 300-350 that would kill on some games?

Thanks so much! The only issue I have with the build so far is the M-audio drivers on the audiophile. I get lots of popping.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

I also recently got a new computer. an i3 2120 and hd 6850. i can play battlefield 3 with most of the settings on high while keeping my fps just above 60. pretty good considering it's a cheap computer and putting the settings higher does not really make much difference. I even know one guy with a top computer who plays with his settings on low because he doesn't like all the clutter!

Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

Awesome! I think I may get a nicer GPU next fall... or maybe as early as June if finances permit.

I actually used to play UT2k3 and 2k4 pretty competitively, and I turned the graphics way down - it was easier to perform better without any extra detail! Makes sense! BUT , for BF3 I'd want detail, because the realism/immersion factor is important.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Hardware Tech

My System

If you want a more powerful video card, the 7850 and 6950 are both great options that can work well with your PSU. Anything better will require a PSU upgrade.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks! The 6950 looks great. Right in my price range. I like how you guys are attentive to the PSU issue - it seems like its often over-looked and misunderstood, generally.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
Hardware Tech

My System

Yea the lead techs and managers here are real pros. Literally - dai and Tyree (just to name a couple) own and operate PC repair shops. Ask them what they have to replace the most in desktops and every single one will say "PSU."

Go ahead and read the PSU selection and information sticky for more.

Power Supply Information and Selection
Old 04-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

The 6950 & 7850 have the same power requirements as the 6850. 650W minimum good quality PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread