Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

[SOLVED] I need a new budget build max £350

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] I need a new budget build max £350 within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Originally Posted by tanveerahmed2k ok i found Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU | Ebuyer.com will this be enough power

Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #41
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanveerahmed2k View Post
ok i found
Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU | Ebuyer.com
will this be enough power for the system, and support a hd5770/6770 in the future?
Again, the CX-GS Corsair are lower quality and 430W is considerably underpowered even if the PSU were good quality.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #42
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to tanveerahmed2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
Might want to invest in some better Arctic Silver Thermal Paste :). costs but will make the difference with your CPU temps.
is this it?
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver.. | Ebuyer.com

but the thing is I dont know how to apply it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd_Man View Post
I would strongly suggest that you stay with your first power supply selection, the Seasonic!
the seasonic is good but i cant find it on ebuyer + it costs £45 more on amazon And I wont need over 430W with the current setup and a HD 5770 in the future...or would I?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #43
TSF Enthusiast

ok that was bad timing, i posted seconds after tyree posted, can you tell me where I can get a seasonic PSU reasonable priced ,over 500w ?
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #44
Hardware Tech

My System

AMD lists 450 watts as system requirements. To be responsible, you should add 30% or more to this wattage and pick only a good-quality unit. +30% makes 585.

Spending a little extra on a good quality PSU sucks, but it's important. While other components cost more for more performance, which is exciting and interesting, PSUs cost more for their efficiency and stability. Every other component in your system will depend on the PSU for clean, stable energy. Low-quality or underpowered PSUs can fail and damage other components with them as they fail.

If you pick out a good quality 650w XFX or Corsair unit today, it's going to last for some time and leave you wide open to upgrade that video card down the line. It's definitely worth the extra $$.

More information on PSU selection:
Power Supply Information and Selection
Old 03-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #45
Team Manager - Hardware

E-Buyer has a very limited selection of PSU's: Corsair TX 650W V2 PSU - 80plus Bronze Certified | Ebuyer.com

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #46
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

I agree with what Tyree, Toothman said. And yes that is the thermal paste i was talking about.

Here is a guide to using Thermal Paste:
How to Remove and Apply Thermal Compound [Updated Tutorial] - YouTube

Please post Hardware Specifications of your computer.(Including Power Supply!).
Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Info & Selection of PSU's
A1tecice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 AM   #47
TSF Enthusiast

Ok guys I am ordering today.
this is the final selection

I hope its ok I've chose everything recommened except the seasonic which is not available

Also to clean thermal paste can I use this??
100 x 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Swabs Wipes Tattoo Piercing | eBay
or 4X Isopropyl Alcohol wipes easy removal thermal paste | eBay
Old 03-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #48
Moderator hardware team

My System

You could.

You can buy isopropyl by the bottle at any department store or pharmacy.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #49
Team Manager - Hardware

It is best to use 90% alcohol if possible. The % that isn't alcohol is water.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #50
TSF Enthusiast

pharmacy's sell 90% alcohol ? whats it called? and where do I get the towel to wipe the thermal paste of with? will any towel work and lastly can I use a credit card to apply the new thermal paste. btw today i have ordered the parts for the pc, i heard its going to be stressing i hope not.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #51
Moderator hardware team

My System

I mostly use just a bit of dry paper towel or a micro-fiber cloth to wipe the mating surfaces clean. I'll only use alcohol or a bit of nail polish remover if the old compound has dried and hardened. A dampened q-tip will usually loosen any stubborn bits enough for it to be wiped off.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #52
TSF Enthusiast

Can i spread the thermal paste with a credit card?
or what is the recommended method
Old 03-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #53
Moderator hardware team

My System

I don't really think there is a 'best' method. I've used both the credit card method and Tyree's baggie-over-the-finger method. I've also simply plopped the cooler down on a blob of paste and fastened it. All seem to work equally well.

All I can tell you, is to use the method recommended by the manufacturer of the compound you choose.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #54
TSF Enthusiast

last question of the day:
I read the APU can crossfire with a HD6450 or something is that true? or is better of getting a HD5770 once I got the money in a months time.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #55
Hardware Tech

My System

It's much better to just get a better individual card. Normal Crossfire setups can have compatibility issues, but Crossfire with the Llano APUs can be even worse. Best to just purchase an individual card that fills your needs by itself.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #56

Also, with your setup, I don't see a need to CF unless you run multiple displays in NVIDIA Surround or AMD Eyefinity.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #57
Moderator hardware team

My System

This is not actually Crossfire, but would be AMD's Dual Graphics technology. The integrated graphics (HD 6350D) of the A6-3670 will work with either an HD 6450, HD 6570 or HD 6670. The technology works very well and gives significantly better performance in most newer (DX10/DX11) games. Older DX9 games show little if any improvement.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:31 AM   #58
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanveerahmed2k View Post
pharmacy's sell 90% alcohol ? whats it called? and where do I get the towel to wipe the thermal paste of with? will any towel work and lastly can I use a credit card to apply the new thermal paste. btw today i have ordered the parts for the pc, i heard its going to be stressing i hope not.
Coffee filters are non-abrasive and excellent for cleaning the paste as well as cleaning LCD monitors.
I use a baggie over my finger to spread the paste.
Building a PC is relatively simple. We're open 24/7 so if you run into problems someone will assist you.First, read the Mobo manual thoroughly to familiarize your self with it's layout and follow it's directions.
Bench test, precisely as listed below, before installing the components in the case.

Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity! We are going to try and assemble a running system outside of the case.
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 or 8 pin power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #59
TSF Enthusiast

@Tyree While am at that should I run memtest and seagate hdd tools verifier? or is it not nessary. Also should I start another thread once the parts arrive (it will take upto 5 days ebuyer said)
Old 03-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #60
Team Manager - Hardware

There should be no need to run MemTest or any Hdd diagnostics.
Use this thread if you have any problems.

Gear in this thread