Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

Should I get this Motherboard?

This is a discussion on Should I get this Motherboard? within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I'm using the intel $1000 spec listed on this forum, and I went to look at the mobo. The

Old 01-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I'm using the intel $1000 spec listed on this forum, and I went to look at the mobo. The reviews that I was reading were saying there were some major things wrong with it. This is going to be my first build so I don't want to have to deal with mobo problems. Would you recommend this board or a different one?
Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
Hardware Tech

My System

this board should be fine:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

all the features you need, better reviews, and significantly cheaper to boot.

personally, i wouldn't buy anything with less than 4 eggs.

i'd also use this for your RAM instead as well:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

You'll be very pleased with this build :)

Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

All of the components in the $1000 build, as with all of our builds, are top quality.
Personally, I prefer the P67 chipset.
If you need more RAM then add a 2x4GB matched pair.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

I have sold over 15 systems with the very board in the $1000 intel build and only received on defective board which newegg replaced without any hassle

I personally find too many of the consumers that leave reviews dont really have the experience to evaluate the products they have purchased but such is life in the fast lane

if you want the comfort of better reviews then this $30.00 upgrade is for you

Newegg.com - ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

I really like this board alot also

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
linderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Well put linderman.
Reviews are a good tools but most should be taken with a grain of salt. Posters commonly post with problems but rarely for praise. Also note the "claimed" tech level of many posters. After reading their posts it is easy to see there imagination is much broader than their tech level.
I have also done several builds with the exact components listed in the $1000 builds and experienced no problems with that Mobo.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #6
Hardware Tech

My System

if Tyree and Linderman tell you it's a good board, it's a good board :D

what I said above is really just a general rule of thumb for sorting through lots of products

although to be honest, i still would probably go with the cheaper board just because with a more expensive board you might be paying for a lot of features that you won't use. nothing wrong with leaving the door open for future expandability, though.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

@ Toothman is 100% correct; its a fine line between value & features! I hate paying high end price tags for features I will never use; for example boards with three video card slots :(

but on the converse its a big disappointment to find later you have out grown the capabilities of your board; like all else in life the best option is usually the middle of the road

highe end boards can be $300 and economy models $90.00 best option is right down the middle if you want high end performance expect to pay $150.00 to $200

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!http://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

I'm in total agreement with linderman. Many features, i.e. Two and three GPU slots, are basically a waste and the sweet spot for dollars spent to value is the $150 to $200 range without sacrificing usable amenities.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help I think that I'm just going to use all the parts in the $1000 build except for the case ( located here) because I like to have things look snazzy!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

thats a cool looking case I must admit even though I am not a snazzy case builder

I just built and sold my 20th copy this morning of the $1000 intel build and not one single complaint yet!!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

Note that doors on cases are easily broken and are not repairable.
Personally, I can't justify spending over $100 on anything that "looks snazzy" when I'm basically the only one that will see it.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

One of the main reasons I was getting this case was due to its 1. Looks 2. 2.25" bays 3. fans so I decided to look around a little bit more and found the case that is $40 less and has all the features I was looking for! ( HURR DURR) Thanks Tyree for making me look at cases again you saved me $$$
Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

looks like a keeper to me

Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Hardware Tech

My System

Not gonna lie, as amazing as that case otherwise looks, having a mesh top looks like a very undesirable spill hazard. Last thing I want is to accidentally knock over my coke and drench my parts. Just looking at the page makes me nervous.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

thats an easy one; no liquids around my system unless you have cash in your pocket! my kids already killed one system with a glass of spilled grape juice years ago; since then computer room is liquid free!!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

That case if fine but it has too many fans for me. Here's an alternative great quality case that looks a lot like the Rosewill but better quality and $5 cheaper: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
Registered Member

I don't keep liquids near my computer and I need 2.5" drives
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 AM   #18
Team Manager - Hardware

Why do you "need" 2.5" drives? You just pay more for less.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Well put linderman.
Reviews are a good tools but most should be taken with a grain of salt. Posters commonly post with problems but rarely for praise. Also note the "claimed" tech level of many posters. After reading their posts it is easy to see there imagination is much broader than their tech level.
I have also done several builds with the exact components listed in the $1000 builds and experienced no problems with that Mobo.
Well put both of you and I could not agree more, I never read the reviews on selling sites because I find the most motivated to review anything are people with problems and the vast majority are silent. I go to Toms Hardware if I am looking for a believable review.

Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Registered Member

What I meant was that I already have 2 2.5" drives