Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

PSU problem?

This is a discussion on PSU problem? within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. If i'm not in the right category for this post, pardon me, and feel free to move it.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone.
If i'm not in the right category for this post, pardon me, and feel free to move it.

First of all, I bought my build some weeks ago.

My build consist of:

Power Supply: Newegg.ca - Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Processor: Newegg.ca - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

Motherboard: Newegg.ca - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video card: Newegg.ca - MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Heatsink: Newegg.ca - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

Hard drive: Newegg.ca - Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory: Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

DVD-Writer: Newegg.ca - ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - CD / DVD Burners

Case: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ [...] 6811147107

After looking at lots of videos on the internet, I took 5-6 hours of my time, doing very carefully my computer.
At first, the test build I made outside the case worked perfectly.
But when I putted everything inside the box, plugged everything, the power wouldn't turn on.
Seems like the power-supply was dead.

I ordered another one, and I shipped that one back.
Today, I received that power-supply. I plugged only the 20+4 pins in the motherboard, and everything was fine.
After that, I plugged everything in my computer (fans, hdd, video card, etc). I turned on the computer, and everything worked perfectly!

So I looked for my Windows 7 CD, I putted it in the dvd-burner, turned back to do something quick, and when I looked back at my computer, it was turned off. I pressed the power button, and nothing happened.

Sometimes, when I press the power button, the fans would work for maybe half a second and then dead nothing.

So I'd like to know, if it is possible that i'm unlucky enough to get 2 dead power-supply in a row, or if maybe something else is going wrong in my computer, or if I did something wrong, or if something in my build is incompatible or something..

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the quality of my english, i speak french most of the time.

EDIT: I tried powering up the computer with the power button on the motherboard. Nothing happened.
I discovered the "Clr cmos" button on the back of the motherboard. When I press it, my computer gets power for maybe half a second, and then nothing. Wonder if it can help.

EDIT2: I took the motherboard out of the case, and I tried powering it with only the ram, PSU and CPU. Didn't work. I swapped with the rams sockets. Nothing.

I tried doing the paper clip thing to try the PSU. I plugged a case fan to try it. It got power for half a second and then it stopped, again.

Is it possible that I have a faulty piece in my build that scrap my power supplys?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

Your particular Antec PSU is made by SeaSonic so it's highly unlikely either unit was bad but it is possible.
Did you have one standoff, no more-no less, for every mounting hole in the Mobo?
While the Mobo is out of the case and sitting on a non-conductive surface, try booting with no RAM and listen for any beep from the Mobo speaker. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo problem. If the Mobo is the problem, I would suggest replacing it with an Asus or Gigabyte.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread