Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help me have a smooth Build Day without complications

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chefrob 
#1 ·
So far I have spent $1,326.69 on this build. I still need to buy Windows 8 and some Memory. Does anyone have any recommendations for good 2x4 GB RAM that is currently on sale? I think a very good price would be $50-65.

I already have all of the necessary peripherals, but since this is my first build, I assume I will need to get some tools, pliers, a static band, air spray, and extra sata cables (not sure how many).

Can you guys help to completely set me up so my build day goes without any complications? I have been watching a few youtube videos here and there. I just don't want to forget anything. Thanks.

Motherboard:Asus Sabertooth Intel Z87 LGA1150 Motherboard @ $239.99

Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Quad Core, 8MB L3 Cache, 3.5GHz, 84W, BX80646I74770K @ $299.99

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked 2GB GDDR5, ACX Cooler - 02G-P4-2765-KR @ $249.99

Memory: ?????

Case:
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP ATX Mid Tower Case with USB 3.0 @ $86.29

Power Supply: Seasonic SS-760XP ATX 12V/EPS, 760W, 80 Plus PLATINUM PSU @ $145.84

DVD ROM Drive:Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X DVD Burner OEM @ $19.99

Hard Drive: WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD @ $149.79

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC SSD @ $134.81

See less See more
#3 ·
Have you already ordered and received these items? The case, power supply and SSD are showing out of stock and unavailable. The proc is available in-store only and the special price on the hard drive expires tomorrow.

Re Memory: Prices have been steadily increasing since early in last winter. Even on sale, I doubt you will find a 2 x 4GB kit for much less than $70. If you find one for fifty bucks, grab it regardless of brand name.

#5 · (Edited)
Have you already ordered and received these items? The case, power supply and SSD are showing out of stock and unavailable. The proc is available in-store only and the special price on the hard drive expires tomorrow.

Re Memory: Prices have been steadily increasing since early in last winter. Even on sale, I doubt you will find a 2 x 4GB kit for much less than $70. If you find one for fifty bucks, grab it regardless of brand name.
Yes. I have accumulated these items on sales during the past couple weeks/months.

Good to know about the memory. I thought it was strongly advised to stick with G.Skill or Corsair. Does the latency and voltage matter that much? I was also advised to stick with 1600 mhz vs 1866 mhz, as it does not offer noticeable differences in performance and may cause more problems.

What about the other parts (tools, cables, static band, etc) to help me build my rig? Is what I listed all that is required? First time building here.

#7 ·
I would recommend staying with G.Skill or Corsair RAM 1600MHz even if it costs a little more.
A small Phillips head screwdriver is basically the only tool required.
Thoroughly read the Mobo manual before attempting any assemble to familiarize yourself with the Mobo layout and connections.
Bench test, on a non-conductive surface and precisely as listed below, before assembling in the case.

Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

#8 ·
I would recommend staying with G.Skill or Corsair RAM 1600MHz even if it costs a little more.
A small Phillips head screwdriver is basically the only tool required.
Thoroughly read the Mobo manual before attempting any assemble to familiarize yourself with the Mobo layout and connections.
Bench test, on a non-conductive surface and precisely as listed below, before assembling in the case.

Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Thanks guys. Special thanks to Tyree for the thorough instruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.