Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Custom Pre-Built Gaming PC Needs Repair

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Panther063 
#1 ·
So I bought a gaming PC from CyberPowerPC about 2 years ago....worst mistake of my life :p . They determined the PSU was bad and sent me a new one, which didn't solve the issue so I RMA'd it and they swapped out another PSU and mobo. They then shipped it back to me in 20 more pieces than it had arrived....but it booted. For about 3 months. They then said it was out of warranty(because it took them almost a month to fix via RMA, and didn't extend the warranty after it failed the first time). So extremely aggrevated I abandoned it.

I just got a new job and decided to sink a total of $280 into it; $140 PSU, and $140 UPS system, because from it's current state it seemed like my town's terrible power may have been the cause of the last fail. So I got it all setup tonight....SAME ISSUE as before.

The front LED fan and PSU fan spinup, sometimes the Gigabyte splashscreen displays, sometimes it doesn't....and then the fan spins down, power led goes out, and sometimes it'll attempt to reboot itself and others it'll stay off.

Specs:
Xion Predator 970 MidTower Case(2 Removable HDD Bays model)
LG UH12LS28K 12x Bluray Player/DVDRW ComboDrive
Corsair Hydro Series H60 High Performance LIquid Cooling System 120mm Radiator&Fan
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4ghz 6mb Smartcache
12in1 Flash Media Reader
120gb Corsair Force GT Series SATA III 6.0gb/s SSD
Corsair XMS With HeatSpreader 16gb(4gbx4) DDR3/1600mhz Dual Channel Memory
Gigabyte GA-Z77 D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX570 1.2gb Videocard
Corsair HX850 ATX PowerSupply
Windows 7 Professional

The motherboard was swapped out by the idiots at cyberpowerpc, so I'm not sure if it's still the Z77 or not, however everything else should be accurate.(As an example of how terrible they are, when they had to rewire the case powerbutton/ports on top, rather than undo the phillips screws to remove that cover it looks as if a chisel was used to smash it free, with the screws left firmly in place, holding nothing but a shred of plastic in place beneath the screws)

I've removed the wifi card, gfx card, bdplayer, flashcardreader,hddbays, all case utilities(audioports, usb, sata etc) aside from the power/reset buttons, and 3 of the 4 ramsticks as well as swapping out the 1 remaining ramstick with a different one, and it still does the same thing. I also have removed and reconnected all cables to make sure they made a firm connection. And the last thing I tried was re-seating the processor, and I still receive the same issue of it not making it more than 8seconds max without rebooting itself.

Any ideas for what could cause such a massive, expensive, headache? That PSU/UPS order I received today was my full last week's paycheck, I could not be anymore furious that I am no closer to a working desktop than I was when I had my money.

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately, your experience with a CyberPower PC is far from unusual.
The OS was tied to the old Mobo so if a different model Mobo was used the OS would need to be reinstalled.
It is also possible the original PSU's, commonly low quality/underpowered from that builder, cause some damage.
Try booting from a Linux CD, to bypass the Hdd, and see if if it will boot/run.

#5 ·
I tried inserting a Linuxbased recoverydisc and the PC still does the same thing, today I didn't even get to the splash screen for the mobo brandname once before it rebooted. I even swapped the main sata cable to go to the optical drive instead of the hdd to force bootpriority, since I can't interact with the machine at all, with the same result.

#6 ·
Try a freshly burned Linux disc.
If the PC will not boot and run form a Linux CD, you likely have serious problems.
Remove all RAM, boot, listen for beep codes from the Mobo speaker. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo problem.
NOTE: A Mobo speaker is required.
Best way to diagnose serious issues is a bench test.
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

#7 ·
I used the Linux based Hiren's BootCD ISO on a CD-R disc. As I said I have no experience with Linux, so it was freshly burned. I believe I even took the extra step to have the burning software verify the disc image after completion to be sure it took. Is there a simple way to check if a mobo has a speaker? I can't remember if mine does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.