Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Building

Building my first computer :)

This is a discussion on Building my first computer :) within the Building forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! -^_^- I'm going to try and build my first computer. I have tried to kinda build one for years

Old 11-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile

Hello! -^_^-

I'm going to try and build my first computer. I have tried to kinda build one for years but I end up picking the parts and then chickening out. -_-''
I'm so scared the parts won't work together!

1. Budget: No more than $1500
  2. Brands: Any
  3. Multitasking: I am a huge multi-tasker. So this is very important to me. For example, I would like to be able to be on netflix, tumblr/high image content blogs, and email at the same time.
  4. Gaming: I don't really game since my video card has never really been good enough when I tried but I am not a gamer.
  5. Calculations: No.
  6. Overclocking: No.
  7. Storage: I download alot so I would like decent memory (300GB and up)
  8. Legacy Support: Don't really know what this is so I guess it does not apply to me haha
  9. Operating System: Windows 7 please
  10. Case: Yes, I just want the best case that will be the neatest and very nicely cooled so nothing overheats (my old desktop over heated and died)
  11. Accessories: If you know of any nice clacky key boards I would like to know--I love how the keyboard clacking sounds when I type. Also, I write alot so if there is any keyboards to keep my hands healthy that would be awesome!
  12. Recycled Components: Nope.
  13. Monitor: I already have 2 in mind
  14. Stores: Newegg
  15. Location: USA

Thank you so much for your help in advance! I already picked my parts so I want to see if they are compatible.
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
Mother Board: Newegg.com - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU Cooler: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1366/1155/775 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
Video Card: Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-2645-KR GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
Internal HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD3000HLHX 300GB 10000 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
Key Board: Newegg.com - Microsoft 2WJ-00002 Black 104 Normal Keys USB RF Wireless Standard Wireless Keyboard 2000 AES for Business
Power Supply: Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Screen 1: Newegg.com - ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1
Screen 2: Newegg.com - BenQ GW2250 Glossy Black 21.5" 4ms (GTG) Widescreen LED Monitor 250 cd/m2 DC 20,000,000:1 (5000:1)
DVD: Newegg.com - ASUS DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS
Case: Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0

I really care about media such as being able to watch videos in the highest quality and I dabble in image manipulation so I'd like it to be able to handle photoshop and such.

I'm not super rich but I am willing to spend a little more for something that will last me a long time :)

Thanks again!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I think you did an excellent job except for the Psu where you need almost twice what you picked to allow for growth...this would do for you and the 620 would be fine also but there is more value with the 650 at same price:

Newegg.com - SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) 650W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Personally I prefer the Asus monitor also as I have used them for a while and find them to be excellent quality.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yay I'm glad you think that they are compatible! Thank you Rich-M for your input! I switched them in my cart :)
The power supply was the only thing I was completely lost on!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Welcome come back and tell us how you make out.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Asus & Gigabyte Mobo's are the better choice for quality, reliability and support.
OC'ing the new CPU's is rather pointless so the OEM heatsink/fan is fine.
1600 MHz RAM is more than good and will avoid any issues.
The GT 640 is a pretty lower tier GPU for a gaming PC.
The PSU you selected is barely sufficient for a GT 640 so if you go up to a better gaming GPU you'll need to upgrade the PSU as well.
You could do better for less on the Hdd also. A 64MB Cache 7200RPM will be just as fast.

Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Oh OK but I totally disagree on the WD Raptor hard drive. I have played that record many times with 32 bit and 64 bit meg cache hard drives and I have never seen them compare to Raptor drives for speed and reliability. Until I migrated to ssd drives, my main drives were always Raptor drives and I tried the 64 meg cache drives one time and switched them out in 2 weeks for Raptor and instantly saw the difference. I haven't seen a bit of difference in 2 meg cache on a hard drive to 64 meg frankly.
I also much prefer the AS Rock to Asus, I have returned almost every Asus board I bought with issues in the last few years and never sent back an AS Rock. Personally I am getting tired of the bent here for Asus motherboards, though Gigabyte I have always loved as well. And some day I will get some of you here to try the better Biostar boards as well as I have found them excellent in the past.
I do agree the GT 640 is borderline for gaming and not the best choice but the user states he is not a gamer which is why I let that go. It's fine for decent quality graphics and can save some $ that way.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Hey if you hurry here is a one day only deal:
Newegg.com - Western Digital WD VelociRaptor WD5000HHTZ 500GB 10000 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Old 11-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

One person's misfortune with a particular brand is just that, one person's misfortune.
Asus & Gigabyte Mobo's are proven quality and that's why every professional builder I know uses them.
If you want a faster Hdd, spend the unworthy price for a SSD.

Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

If you arent overclocking then there is no need for the i7 3770k (k meaning it is unlocked for overclocking). For what you want to use your computer for an i5 would be wuite sufficient. Plus as said earlier, Ivy Bridge CPUs only have a 1600MHz memory controller so anything higher wont provide a boost to your system. As for video card, my personal recommendation is the ASUS GTX DirectCU II range, I have a 670 but if you arent gaming then a 650-660 should suffice. They have excellent cooling systems and boost GPU clock higher than reference without making any adjustments.