Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Build - Work PC and Server

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  Damage_Inc 
#1 · (Edited)
Mom needs a new work PC. I don't need specific parts just a place to start like CPU socket, type of case. The software and peripherals are not to be included in price. The budget is flexible, around $1100.

Software Capabilities:
Win 10
Maybe server software
Multiple browser windows with many tabs each.
QuickBooks
Office 365
Adobe Production Studio
Embroidery Software

Peripherals We Have:
Three printers connected via router
USB 2.0 Scanner
Scan N Cut
Old RGB DVI monitor
External Speakers

Hardware We Will Need:
Work CPU, prefer 8 threads/cores
DVD Burner
HDMI
Display Port
Several USB ports on case*
12TB HDD storage**
SSD Boot Drive (256GB? 512GB?)

* Minimum four 3.x on front of case. Some on top may also work. Prefer USB 3.1.
** Internal and External. The external would have important files for easy transport/ unplugged for security. 12TB total HDD storage.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It isn't actually for a business. It's a home PC. No server hosting or web hosting. We have 12TB of data which we may access via a server OS. (Win 10 Server?) She uses it for "work" like crafting and DIY vids and websites, graphic design, templates etc... Possibly some light gaming, the ability to run Adobe Production Studio well and have enough hdd cages for 12 TB of HDD's.

#4 ·
#6 · (Edited)
Yes, this is a build, posted in the building forum. The 12 TB of HDD's need to be inexpensive drives like low rpm models. The SSD part of the build is only for software. The budget is $1,100. I am not sure why you would think we would buy a $5,000 SSD. As for 8 core i added this because running many many browser tabs full of videos ads and other stuff would use more cores, right? The current PC has four cores and websites do not load very fast or respond quickly. 12TB of HDD's will be around $300 whch leaves $800 for everything else. The Dell's in that link were 2 grand and up.

Mom needs a new work PC. I don't need specific parts just a place to start like CPU socket, type of case. The software and peripherals are not to be included in price. The budget is flexible, around $1100.

#7 ·
Yep, because 8-core server (and/or workstation) setups run more money than desktops; one reason being because they are designed to be more reliable.

#8 · (Edited)
This is a budget build of $1100. $300 of which will go to HDD's.

My original post was asking about what cpu socket I should be looking at. Intel is supposed to be more effective with programs like Adobe software suites. Are these all CPU dependent tasks or would I need to get a specific graphics card? If integrated graphics will work just fine please let me know.

I am starting to use the $900 AMD build as a template but I am not sure as Intel CPU's may be better suited for these tasks. I would appreciate some info and recommendations.

Adobe Production Studio does audio, video and graphics editing.

#10 · (Edited)
What part of the computer causes slowdown when working on very high resolution scanned images? This is one of the problems with the current rig. Doing something simple like rotating it 45 degrees takes a while. Problems like this is why we are building a new rig. The system requirements for the software suite itself is really low and doesn't help me solve these problems.

This thread has so many replies and no helpful information. This is the first thread I have made where TSF has not been helpful. What am i doing wrong? What other info do you need so I can get started building this PC? I will quote the first post for a second time.

"Mom needs a new work PC. I don't need specific parts just a place to start like CPU socket, type of case. The software and peripherals are not to be included in price. The budget is flexible, around $1100."

#11 ·
The CPU, GPU, RAM and HDD all play a roll in how fast a computer can get something done.
  • The CPU (central processing unit) is the core working part of the system. The faster it is, the faster the system can "think" (process information).
  • The GPU (graphics processing unit) handles images on the screen. The slower it is, and the less RAM it has, the slower the image handling.
  • The less RAM (random access memory) a computer has available, the more it will be forced to use a swap file on the hard drive, (to swap things the CPU is working on in and out of memory).
  • A computer running a "spinner" (hard disk drive with spinning platters and reciprocating heads) feels s-l-o-w compared to the same computer running a SSD (solid-state drive). It makes a world of difference.
Generally speaking, the faster (and more reliable) any of those crucial components are, the higher their price.

If $800 is the budget, all you can hope to get is $800 worth of performance. If you want a screamer though, it's easy to be looking at north of ten times that much. Kinda like with an automobile: $8,000 compared to a $80,000. Or a house: $80,000 compared to $800,000. You get the idea. Like that old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

#12 ·
Okay, it looks like you guys are saying there is virtually no difference between a gaming PC and the PC I am trying to build. That's what I was missing! So the $900 AMD build looks good but with an ssd instead of hdd and a different case that supports an optical.

Thanks for your help, guys. Now that I get it, lol, I can start building :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.