Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Wireless keyboard lag (overiding sleeping)

This is a discussion on Wireless keyboard lag (overiding sleeping) within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have the Logitech MK250 wireless keyboard and mouse combo (not bluetooth). The mouse seems fine but with the keyboard

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have the Logitech MK250 wireless keyboard and mouse combo (not bluetooth). The mouse seems fine but with the keyboard I get horrendous lag a lot of the time in Windows 7 x64 and it seems even worse in Ubuntu 10.10. This renders it unusable sometimes and it's really frustrating when I am trying to work. I understand it does this because it's sleeping to conserve batteries, but it takes far to long to wake up most of the time, sometimes it doesn't seem to want to at all. Is there any way to overide the sleep mode when I am going to be continuously using the keyboard for a sustained period? Otherwise I'm gonna have to get the wired one out.

Alternatively do all wireless keyboard have this problem or are there some that work a lot better than others?

Old 01-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

You can adjust the sleep settings, but they only adjust the period of INACTIVITY before Windows goes to sleep. IF you are using the keyboard, then it isn't "sleeping" and you have another issue.

As for the wakeup time, it seems to vary. I've had it wake up and be useable in less than a minute, and I've had it take up to 5 minutes before I can do anything. And that is with the same settings. I've not found any information on why it sometimes takes longer to wake up and so far I'm just dealing with out. The only solution that I know of at the moment, is to simply disable sleep altogether.

Google is your Friend!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

How can I disable sleep? Not windows sleeping but the keyboard sleeping?
Old 01-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Windows "sleeps" and controls the various hardware such as HDD's, monitor, etc. The mouse and keyboard don't sleep.

Google is your Friend!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry I'm not talking about windows going into sleep mode windows is still active, I'm talking about the keyboard turning off to save power and lagging when I start typing again.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

If you've installed the software for the keyboard, go into the Logitech control panel and look for a power-saving option that you can turn off or customize.

I've used wireless devices (Logitech and other brands) that turn off and take a while to wake up again. I got fed up and replaced them with wired - no more problems.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered Member

I had the same problem with MK250. It turned out that the cause of all the lag was an application that came with my Gigabyte Motherboard: EasySaver. It's an application that supposedly saves energy so the polar bears won't die :p I uninstalled it and got rid of the problem (deactivation was not enough -lag persisted). If you have a Gigabyte MB you should try it.