Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

VGA to HDMI converter not working

This is a discussion on VGA to HDMI converter not working within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to connect my laptop to my television via a VGA to HDMI converter, but for whatever reason, I'm

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm trying to connect my laptop to my television via a VGA to HDMI converter, but for whatever reason, I'm not getting any picture.

All the parts are hooked up correctly.

The screen resolution is set to one that the manual said is accepted.

I switched the input on the TV to HDMI, and I tried all the other options as well.

I hit the external video key and tried both "duplicate display" and "extended display" and neither did anything.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What converter are you currently using? What is the HDMI pluging into and what are you pluing the VGA into?

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What converter are you currently using? What is the HDMI pluging into and what are you pluing the VGA into?
Thank you.

Here is the converter: For only $27.34 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to HDMI® Converter | VGA to HDMI Converters

And the HDMI is plugged into the converter and the HDMI slot on my TV. On my TV, there are three slots. One on the side and two in the back. It's plugged into the side one, but I've also tried the other two as well, and when I checked to see if it was working, I tried changing the TV to all three HDMI inputs as well as all the other ones like Video, Component, etc..

The VGA cable is plugged into the converter and the laptop. I should mention that while the converter has two screws for the VGA cable, the laptop does not. It has an outlet that it is able to be plugged into, but nothing for the screws.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

Have you tried using a VGA to HDMI adapter to insure everything else is working properly? I've never tried a converter but I have doubts that the quality will be any better than using an adapter.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

An VGA to HDMI adapter? You're talking about a separate product, right? If so, no, I haven't.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Correct and most any PC shop or possible a box store should carry it:
Attached Images

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

I'd rather not spend another 30 something dollars on another product.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Microsoft MVP
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

They are not really $30.

In fact here is one for $4. Gold HDTV HDMI to VGA HD15 Adapter Cable 6ft 1.8M- eForCity-Computers & Electronics-Power & Cables-Cables
Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

Turns out the converter wasn't compatible with my television. I returned it and got a refund, and now I'm thinking of getting another one, but I need some help making sure I get the right one this time. I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread.

Anyway, someone mentioned a VGA to HDMI adapter. If I decide to get one of these, is there any way that I can be sure that it will be compatible with my TV? By the way, mny TV Sylvania LC320SLX, and my laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ57.

I kept the HDMI cable in case I want to get another converter. The guy from Monoprice's tech support recommended this USB to HDMI converter: For only $38.92 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 to HDMI® Display Adapter w/ Audio (1920 x 1080) | USB to Video Converters

Do you think this would be a better bet? I'd rather not spend so much money if I don't have to.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

I would just use an adapter. I have serious doubts a converter is going to improve picture quality.
A VGA to HDMI adapter will work if your TV has a HDMI input.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

So it will work on any TV with HDMI output? Are you sure?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Sorry, but I just want to be clear because the last person who suggested the converter said that would be work, too, and I don't really know anything about what would cause it to work and not to work, so I just want to be sure.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

If the output device (PC/laptop) has a VGA output and your TV has a HDMI input the VGA to HDMI cable should give you video on the TV.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
Registered Member

One thing, though: the VGA output on my laptop doesn't have the two little slots that you screw in, only the thing in the middle. This won't cause any problems, right?
Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

VGA is analog. DVI/HDMI are digital.

A simple VGA to HDMI cable will not work for most video chipsets as they don't/can't output a digital signal over the VGA port.

And no, the screws are only there to hold the connector in place. They have nothing to do with the signal.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
VGA is analog. DVI/HDMI are digital.

A simple VGA to HDMI cable will not work for most video chipsets as they don't/can't output a digital signal over the VGA port.
So I will need the converter?

What would you recommend? I'd like to get something a little cheaper than the converter I linked to, but I don't know what I should be looking for to insure that it works this time. I listed the model of my TV and laptop a couple posts above.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

I would say yes. As for a recommendation, I've not used any. Any brand name model should be fine. Or check with monoprice (I assume that is the link you posted above?), their hardware is generally low in price and good quality. You could also verify with them if it will work in your configuration before you buy it.

Google is your Friend!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #18
Registered Member

A couple final questions...

1. If I want to use USB rather than VGA, do I need a USB to HDMI converter, or will a USB to HDMI adapter also be acceptable?

2. I posted the link to the converter the guy from Monoprice recommended. Is there any reason that that one would work but another somewhat cheaper version wouldn't? That's probably a stupid question, but as I said, I don't know exactly what the source of the incompatibility was, so I'm kind of in the dark as far as what I need to be looking for specifically.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #19
Registered Member

Anyone?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

1. You will need a USB "video card", not an adapter cable.

2. Any converter of the same type will work. Just buy from a reputable retailer.

Google is your Friend!