Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VGA to HDMI converter not working

137K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
I'm trying to connect my laptop to my television via a VGA to HDMI converter, but for whatever reason, I'm not getting any picture.

All the parts are hooked up correctly.

The screen resolution is set to one that the manual said is accepted.

I switched the input on the TV to HDMI, and I tried all the other options as well.

I hit the external video key and tried both "duplicate display" and "extended display" and neither did anything.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

#3 ·
Thank you.

Here is the converter: For only $27.34 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to HDMI® Converter | VGA to HDMI Converters

And the HDMI is plugged into the converter and the HDMI slot on my TV. On my TV, there are three slots. One on the side and two in the back. It's plugged into the side one, but I've also tried the other two as well, and when I checked to see if it was working, I tried changing the TV to all three HDMI inputs as well as all the other ones like Video, Component, etc..

The VGA cable is plugged into the converter and the laptop. I should mention that while the converter has two screws for the VGA cable, the laptop does not. It has an outlet that it is able to be plugged into, but nothing for the screws.

#4 ·
Have you tried using a VGA to HDMI adapter to insure everything else is working properly? I've never tried a converter but I have doubts that the quality will be any better than using an adapter.

#9 · (Edited)
Turns out the converter wasn't compatible with my television. I returned it and got a refund, and now I'm thinking of getting another one, but I need some help making sure I get the right one this time. I hope no one minds me resurrecting this thread.

Anyway, someone mentioned a VGA to HDMI adapter. If I decide to get one of these, is there any way that I can be sure that it will be compatible with my TV? By the way, mny TV Sylvania LC320SLX, and my laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ57.

I kept the HDMI cable in case I want to get another converter. The guy from Monoprice's tech support recommended this USB to HDMI converter: For only $38.92 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 to HDMI® Display Adapter w/ Audio (1920 x 1080) | USB to Video Converters

Do you think this would be a better bet? I'd rather not spend so much money if I don't have to.

#10 ·
I would just use an adapter. I have serious doubts a converter is going to improve picture quality.
A VGA to HDMI adapter will work if your TV has a HDMI input.

#15 ·
VGA is analog. DVI/HDMI are digital.

A simple VGA to HDMI cable will not work for most video chipsets as they don't/can't output a digital signal over the VGA port.

And no, the screws are only there to hold the connector in place. They have nothing to do with the signal.

#16 ·
VGA is analog. DVI/HDMI are digital.

A simple VGA to HDMI cable will not work for most video chipsets as they don't/can't output a digital signal over the VGA port.
So I will need the converter?

What would you recommend? I'd like to get something a little cheaper than the converter I linked to, but I don't know what I should be looking for to insure that it works this time. I listed the model of my TV and laptop a couple posts above.

#17 ·
I would say yes. As for a recommendation, I've not used any. Any brand name model should be fine. Or check with monoprice (I assume that is the link you posted above?), their hardware is generally low in price and good quality. You could also verify with them if it will work in your configuration before you buy it.

#18 ·
A couple final questions...

1. If I want to use USB rather than VGA, do I need a USB to HDMI converter, or will a USB to HDMI adapter also be acceptable?

2. I posted the link to the converter the guy from Monoprice recommended. Is there any reason that that one would work but another somewhat cheaper version wouldn't? That's probably a stupid question, but as I said, I don't know exactly what the source of the incompatibility was, so I'm kind of in the dark as far as what I need to be looking for specifically.

#21 ·
#26 ·
"Windows display settings"?

I've tried installing the drivers several ways. The first way was by using the Windows auto-detect thingy (I'm not sure what you call it). With this, I wasn't getting any picture, so when I asked online what I should, I was told to uinstall/reinstall the drivers. Then I went to my device manager to delete the drivers, but couldn't find them anywhere, so I installed them. Here, the only I can of that I might have did wrong is that I install the same drivers twice -- first the stable version than the beta version, thinking they were two different drivers -- but I was told by a guy in Monoprice's tech support chat that this shouldn't be any problem. Next, I tried uinstalling the drivers, which this time I was able to do as there an option in my device manager that said "USB display adapter". In right-clicked that, selected uninstall, ticked the box that said to delete the software along with it, and then clicked okay. I tried uinstalling the drivers and then reinstalling them using the software, but after I select my operating system on the prompt and click next and whatever else, I get a message saying that this software isn't compatible with my operation system, even though it says that it supports that OS, and then it suggests that I should download a more up to date version of their software from their website, but when I try to do that now, I get a message saying the software is already installed and up to date, even though I uninstalled it.

I'm not sure if this is why I'm not getting any picture, though.

#27 ·
Windows Display Settings = right click on the desktop, driver icon in the Status bar by the clock, or through Control Panel

I asked because of this statement "Yes, it's able to detect the TV, and I tried selecting both "duplicate display" and "extend display", and nothing happened".

I can only assume basic setup is covered in the User Manual, but according to the user comments, setup/configuration of the output is controlled via the hardware drivers/software....NOT by Windows.

Windows can only control the video configuration of items using a standard video card. This is a USB device, so all configuration is handled by the devices own drivers.

Sorry that I can't be more clear, but I've not used this type of hardware. I prefer and have always used a hardware only solution (ie: video card).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.