Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

USB works in Linux, not in Windows

This is a discussion on USB works in Linux, not in Windows within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi!,
I really hope someone out there can help me.
first of all I’d like to apologies for the millionth thread about this, however none of the other ones seem to work like this...

The story goes like this, my friend *yes actually my friend, not me, was using his Dell inspiron 6400 windows XP and he disconnected his usb microphone, after that NO USB device was recognized. We tried all the suggestions from this forum and many others including:

1. Disabling and enabling all usb devices from device manager.
2. Removing the battery, and quickly unplugging the computer.
3. Removing the CMOS battery, and draining power
4. Using the dell built in system restore partition
5. Editing the registry

none of these worked, so we decided to move on and install windows 7 (clean), windows 7 booted up/installed perfectly, no problems....

but the USB didn't work, so we tried the applicable above methods again, to no avail!!
Finally i installed Ubuntu 10.10 as a dual boot and the USB's worked fine (in Ubuntu), i also tried a live Knoppix disk that was also able to read and write to the USB.... leaving me confused!

I am not a computer tech, but i understand the basics, if you would like me to add any information i would be happy to do so.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Did you perform a fresh install or use an "upgrade" version of Win7 to install over XP? Based on your description, I'd say you upgraded. So you basically just moved the problem from XP into Win7. Try uninstalling all of the USB controllers in Device Manager and reboot. Windows will reinstall the drivers during bootup.

Also check Device Manager for any devices with yellow ! those devices require drivers.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for the reply.
as i stated in my post, it was a clean install. Formatted HDD, in fact there is no upgrade path from xp to 7.. or at least directly.

I’ve also deleted and reinstalled the drivers as you suggested, and there are no yellow !'s in the device driver.

one thing i've noticed, it seems as if it actually times out?, if that makes sense. when i have knoppix running, or even Ubuntu on the laptop it actually takes a while for the drive to be recognized, but then it works fine... i wonder if there is some way to change that?

one thing i've noticed, it seems as if it actually times out?, if that makes sense. when i have knoppix running, or even ubuntu on the laptop it actually takes a while for the drive to be recognised, but then it works fine... i wonder if there is some way to change that?
Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Yes, there is: Microsoft Store Online - Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack - Buy from Microsoft Store

And I have the same version. You can't install "fresh" as it won't proceed unless it can verify XP is installed.

In any case, I was just verifying "clean".

What type of USB device are you connecting? Have you tried more than one device? Have you tried other USB ports? If you are using front panel ports, try rear panel ports (or vice versa).

Google is your Friend!
Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Sorry about the upgrade, i was under the impression you could not directly upgrade xp to 7, without use of a migration cable, or using vista as a stepping stone.. doesnt matter for now! lol, but, windows 7 was installed fresh from CD formatting the current OS.

Alright, Ive attempted to connect 4 flash drives, from 32gb to 256mb, and 1 external non powered 250gb as well as a powered 2tb external and an iPhone. same error on each.

all of these were tested on all usb ports on the laptop.
the laptop also has an IEEE 1394/Firewire port, however i dont have anything that can connect to it, do you think it would be worth the time of finding something to connect to it?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

I didn't realize it was a laptop, not that it matters much.

Firewire is irrelevant. In any case, what is the error?

Google is your Friend!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

This is the error message that plagues me! lol.
i also tried the microsoft "fix it" tool, it did nothing, additionally I ran the Dell system diagnosis utility, but it also found nothing wrong.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

The fact that it is recognizing hardware is attached, enforces the fact that the USB ports are working. The fact that Windows doesn't know what the hardware is, would seem to indicate an OS issue. Windows should get the hardware id from the hardware, and then check a "database" to see what the hardware is, and then install drivers.

Aside from a fresh OS install, I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. If System Restore is working, you can go back to a date before the trouble began. Aside from that, Repair or fresh install.

Maybe someone in the Windows board will know a fix.

Google is your Friend!
Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

my first thought since it is an older computer is it is not compatible with win7. dell dont even have win7 drivers for the system.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

as i stated in my original post, the operating system is a fresh install, from a formatted hard disk, there is no restore point.
not compatible with windows 7 might make more sense tho it is beyond the win 7 min specs, however this is the error we got with XP as well on the same computer. however, i will not stop! haha, i will install XP again, i think i even have a copy of 2000 laying around here somewhere!

thanks for your help so far, let me know if there is any information you need, or if you have any other ideas! thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
a bit alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrizzle View Post
as i stated in my original post, the operating system is a fresh install, from a formatted hard disk, there is no restore point.
not compatible with windows 7 might make more sense tho it is beyond the win 7 min specs, however this is the error we got with XP as well on the same computer. however, i will not stop! haha, i will install XP again, i think i even have a copy of 2000 laying around here somewhere!

thanks for your help so far, let me know if there is any information you need, or if you have any other ideas! thanks
when you reinstalled xp the first time did you go to dell and get their drivers or did you only use the generic ones from xp? You need to use those from dell. sometimes there are minor differences in oem hardware where you must use the chipset drivers and others from the computer manufacturer.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

The XP reinstall was from the Dell factory settings partition. CTRL + F11 ect, i would think this would install all the Dell specific drivers. however i did NOT use any specific dell drivers for the win 7 install.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #13
a bit alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrizzle View Post
The XP reinstall was from the Dell factory settings partition. CTRL + F11 ect, i would think this would install all the Dell specific drivers. however i did NOT use any specific dell drivers for the win 7 install.
true, unless there were updates based on the service packs - if you updated the service packs

anyway it was a longshot...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
Registered Member

Sobeit, any help is awesome!, seriously i am STUMPED! i noticed you have ubuntu 10.10, do you have any idea why those drivers would work? are they just more robust?... is there a way to use those drivers (doubtful)