Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Unable to power on Dell Dimension 4550

This is a discussion on Unable to power on Dell Dimension 4550 within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm working on a Dell Dimension 4550 for a client. The system will not turn on. With the power cable

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm working on a Dell Dimension 4550 for a client. The system will not turn on. With the power cable attached, there is a green light on the motherboard. The power supply tested okay. I also pulled the memory.

I removed the switch and replaced it with another used one (seller claims it tested fine). However, this made no difference. Can I use a jumper to test the switch? Which pins do I need to contact.

Any other thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

Thanks!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

The Mobo light being on doesn't mean the PSU is good. How did you test the PSU to assure that is is not defective?
Your problems relates to a failing/failed PSU. Do you have another PSU to try?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

I used a PSU tester but it's very basic (plug it in, flip a switch, and an LED glows), so I don't know that it's accurate in the case of a failing, but not fully failed, power supply.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I have a more thorough PSU tester on order. When it arrives, I'll post the results.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Tested the PSU again with the new tester. All of the lights lit except the one for -5V.

I've read that newer 24-pin PSUs often do not supply the -5V line. However, the PSU I'm testing is only 20-pin. So, is it likely that the non-functioning -5V is the problem?
Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #6

Tyree ask if you had another PSU to try. I still use a digital voltmeter, even so I still double check with a known workiing PSU. As you know, the Dell PSU is not your standard PSU unit. I use a standard 20+4 pin PSU that does not have the white -5v wire. I have got a later Dell to post and load the OS with this. If it does not post, I check the motherboard diagnostic lights and see if the motherboard light is amber and if the power switch light is amber, that leads to a bad motherboard.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

The best test for a PSU is a substitute.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. The motherboard has a single light, which is green. The unit won't POST, and I get nothing on the power switch light.

I'll see what I can come up with in the way of another compatible PSU and let y'all know what happens.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #9

These are the diagnostic codes for the led lights on the motherboard on the back of the PC.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/advanced.htm#1118998
I have seen the small flat ribbon with a black end coming from the power switch that plugs in towards the front of the motherboard come loose from someone else working on it.
Good Luck