Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

thermal pad/paste for laptop gpu and voltage regulator?

This is a discussion on thermal pad/paste for laptop gpu and voltage regulator? within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

I had to change a failed motherboard for a HP Pavilion dv4 laptop. I am using the heatsink & cpu from the dead mobo.

I have applied Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU. Do I need to change the “brown pad” that sits on the GPU? Another “green” one looks like a pad/paste and sits on two blocks (voltage regulator?). Does that need to be changed as well?

What kind of replacements would I need and where should I look for them? HP provides pads & paste with its fan/heat sink/mobo/CPU spare parts kit but it’s very expensive.

From the HP Maintenance & Service guide:
“Each time the fan and heat sink are removed, the thermal material must be thoroughly cleaned from the surfaces of the heat sink and system board components: heat sink (1), processor (2), Northbridge clip (3), and capacitor (4). Thermal pads and thermal paste must be installed on all surfaces before the fan and heat sink are reinstalled. Thermal pads and thermal paste are included with all fan, heat sink, system board, and processor spare part kits.”

Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

All old thermal paste/pad needs to be thoroughly cleaned from any surface with 91% minimum alcohol. Failing to do so will result in problems.
The AS 5 you have is just as good as any other brand and will work for all applications where thermal paste is required.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote