Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

[SOLVED] Windows crashes after welcome screen, after gpu overclock

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Windows crashes after welcome screen, after gpu overclock within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I'm having a rather annoying issue with my main desktop pc. I was just in the process of mildly

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hi, I'm having a rather annoying issue with my main desktop pc. I was just in the process of mildly overclocking my GPU with software that was provided with the GPU (580 GTX) and after applying the OC the computer froze, the music i was playing turned into a horrible buzz, etc etc..

I thought, no problem, I've just overdone it, ill reboot and sort it.

However! The software provided was set to apply the oc on boot, so this meant that I'd probably have to start windows in safe mode. Again, i thought no problem.

But the biggest issue with this is that my USB keyboard non longer works until windows boots. I recently re-arranged my desk and unplugged pretty much everything. My keyboard previously had no problems working post windows boot in the BIOS. Since the re-arrange it just hasn't worked until windows loads, and up until now it hasn't been an issue as i rarely need to go into it.

Unfortunately i just got rid of my last remaining PS2 keyboard so no longer have any backup keyboards to try and get into the BIOS, or even just select safe mode from the startup options. I'm in the process of acquiring one, but in the mean time I was hoping someone might have a suggestion of what I could do to get my current USB keyboard to work before windows boot as it did before the move around.

p.s. Im on windows 7 x64, any more info you need, I'd be happy to supply it.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Is the KB plugged into the same port as it was previously?
Some KBs and mice came with usb to ps/2 adapters which come in handy in times like these.

You'll need to get into the bios and enable the Legacy USB setting for the KB to work on boot.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Is the KB plugged into the same port as it was previously?
Some KBs and mice came with usb to ps/2 adapters which come in handy in times like these.

You'll need to get into the bios and enable the Legacy USB setting for the KB to work on boot.
I can't remember which port the keyboard was plugged into last time so can't say if its in the same one as before.

I know i used to have one of those converters, but again i think it may have disappeared some time ago.

On another note, my windows miraculously managed to boot a couple of times, but then crashes pretty quickly. One time i managed to get the task manager open quick enough to close the GPU software, I then uninstalled it, cleared its settings and downloaded a fresh updated version of the software. So I'm pretty much back to where i was before. I just need to get my keyboard sorted before windows boots now.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Your going to have borrow either a PS/2 KB or a adapter to get into the bios and set Legacy USB to enabled.
Some boards work if the KB is plugged into the top left usb slot on the rear(looking at the rear)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Some boards work if the KB is plugged into the top left usb slot on the rear(looking at the rear)
I gave this a go, and sure enough it worked. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Good to hear that worked for you :)

Closed Thread