Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

[SOLVED] How to protect my webcam?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] How to protect my webcam? within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought a new external webcam to connect with my pc. I heard stories of hackers to hack webcams :P

Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
Alternative Computing Team

My System

I bought a new external webcam to connect with my pc. I heard stories of hackers to hack webcams :P How can I prevent it hackers from hacking down my webcam?
I won't plug it when not using, but what if it gets hacked and recorded when I'm using?

I sue Avast! Free Antivirus.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware

If a true hacker wants in, they'll get in. Avast is as good as any free app but it's become quite bloated. I use MS Security Essentials. Small footprint, free and has been effective for me and my customers.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Mainly depends on how the PC is connected to the internet. If it's via router, you are fairly safe...depending on your definition of hacking. Aside from that, run a firewall or use the one that Windows has it built in.

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
Alternative Computing Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
Mainly depends on how the PC is connected to the internet. If it's via router, you are fairly safe...depending on your definition of hacking. Aside from that, run a firewall or use the one that Windows has it built in.
i don't know much about routers, i use wired Ethernet connection which has a modem.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

The modem is a given. There will always be a modem.

Is the ethernet cable connected directly to the modem, or into another piece of hardware?

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote