Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

[SOLVED] faulty lcd monitor won't display 1024x768!

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] faulty lcd monitor won't display 1024x768! within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. it's an old viewmaster jp677 17" lcd monitor by hallmark, whom had already gone out of business a few yrs

Old 11-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

it's an old viewmaster jp677 17" lcd monitor by hallmark, whom had already gone out of business a few yrs back now. so don't be surprised if you haven't heard of it before :)

basically it was all good one day before switching off, and then when switch on the next day i got a black screen after the windows logo :(

i have already confirmed that the monitor itself is at fault by swapping monitors and over 3 pc's.

what is weird is that it will display fine at any other resolutions like 800x600, 1280x1024, and also a 11??x8?? (can't remember the exact numbers), but it won't display 1024x768!!! at this resolution the monitor power/signal led stays solid green indicating that it's sensing a signal, but the screen is just black :(

i've already opened up the monitor and didn't find any blown capacitors.

anyone know if it can be fixed quite easily, or it's a case of chucking it out?

cheers.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

The Viewmaster monitors are made by Viewsonic, I am pretty sure. The Hallmark name must be a re-brand.

Check your VGA cable. If you have a spare VGA cable, swap it out and see.

Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
GZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

yes already tried that. still no go.

btw the model should be jm777 and not jp677 which is the p/n.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

further investigations found that the monitor doesn't like the 768 vertical resolution. that is, it won't work on 1024x768 or 1280x768.

but it's happy with anything else like 640x480 (dos), 800x600, 1152x864, 1280x720, 1280x800, 1280x960 and 1280x1024.

if i set the display to it's native resolution of 1280x1024, will i be able to use this monitor without any problem? like, will any software or game be blanking out the screen intermittently because it needs to switch resolution for some reasons?
Old 11-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

You should be fine as long as the game isn't trying to run in the unsupported resolution.
Please be advised. If your thread is answered and there is no reply within 30 days the thread will be closed. If you need continued assistance after that, please PM myself or another staff member to have the thread opened. Thank you.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
Registered Member

thanks gavinach. i think i'll just use it at 1280x1024 until i come across any problem. that also mean i have to make sure none of the games in that pc are still set to use 1024x768 :)

btw i just want to make one point very clear, 1024x768 and 1280x768 are supported res by the monitor, before it became faulty that is. so as far as the pc is concerned, the monitor is capable of these res and will use it if any software asked it to......
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #7
GZ
Team Manager
- Hardware
- Microsoft Support

My System

I understand that. The problem is that it is an odd situation without a clear solution. I have repaired many monitors and have yet to come across that issue. If I figure a clear solution you will be the first to know about it!

-GZ

Gear in this thread