Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Compatibility old notebooks - later netbooks?

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
Hi, my 2 questions require someone who is expert at older & newer computer hardware. Since I may be forced to shop for a new system, but dummie at hardware compatibility knowledge, I would appreciate some basic hardware info.

(1) Can you please refer to the attached pic. which states my first question, since a pic. was better than words, re: compatibility of later-model netbooks with my current setup.
So - are 2010-2012 netbooks compatible with setup in attached pic?

(2) Can the 15" monitor from my R52 thinkpad somehow be hooked up with a current mini-tower?
I may decide to buy a low-watt energy-saving minitower.
And I prefer my thinkpad monitor's Matte finish & 15" size.
I never even used the thinkpad touchpad nor keyboard (I only got thinkpad due to liking its monitor - viewable at distance of a few feet).
As you can see in attachment:
For keyboard & mouse, I hooked up my 1980s-LiteOn-keyboard & 1990s-Dell-PS2-mouse to an Adesso double-adapter.
(actually, my keystrokes skip letters every so often, but i've been living with it. It may be because the Grey keyboard cord is plugged into a Cream-Adapter, which in turn is plugged into the Purple-Adesso-connection.)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Compatibility old notebooks - later netbooks?

My main concern is to get questions 1 & 2 answered.
Because too often, you get shocked after you buy stuff (realizing there's incompatibility issues).

So lets say I find a tower I want.
Can I then use my thinkpad monitors with the tower?
I.E. monitors only. I'd want the rest of the laptop to be disabled.

And lets say I'd find a Netbook or Notebook 2010-2012.
Could I then connect the setup shown in my O.P. picture?

Those are my 2 concerns.

#6 ·

I was answering, so first the think pad is a laptop so only has vga out so no you cannot use it as a monitor only for the tower you will need a monitor for the tower.
your picture is way to over crowded to make sense of,but I have already told you newer laptops and netbooks use usb mice and keyboards not PS/2

#7 · (Edited)

Uh, you said it was crowded.

I spent hours with camera - then clarifying it via pic.

did you click the pic to see the
yellow text explanation
yellow text explanation
blue text explanation
blue text explanation

would each of the above 4 (yellow, yellow, blue, blue)
....fit into 2010-2012 netbooks and/or notebooks?

The Adesso adapter is inside my USB 2.0 socket
..to it is connected my PS2-mouse & PS2-keyboard (purple+green)
The printer cord is inside the upper USB 2.0 socket
Then there's the blue Ethernet
and the lite-green speaker jack

P.S. I can't understand why there is no way to activate only the monitor from my thinkpad, and somehow get it connected to a tower??
Even technicians wouldn't be able to accomplish that?

#8 ·

Hi Minni :wave:

There isn't any laptop/notebook or tablet that has a video-input socket, they're all designed to send the video out to a 'dedicated' screen (TV/monitor/projector/whatever).

It would take some major redesigning at the manufacturers to include a video-in, and would have a very limited market as most folks want bigger screens :wink:

#10 ·

PS2 and USB issues aside, to clarify, no, you cannot connect a notebook to a tower/PC for use as a monitor. If you purchase a new PC/tower/minitower, you will also need to purchase a monitor.

#11 ·

PS2 and USB issues aside, to clarify, no, you cannot connect a notebook to a tower/PC for use as a monitor. If you purchase a new PC/tower/minitower, you will also need to purchase a monitor.
I see..thank you. Have you ever tried Pixel Qi monitors or anything similar? I'm wondering if they're chemical-free. What appeals to me, is their ability to disable blacklights, but most new electronics these days are not chemical free. I'm sensitive to EMFs, bright lights & chemicals.

Also, Dogg, are 2010-2012 netbooks connectable to my PS2 keyboard & mouse?
As you can see from the pic. I have an Adesso adapter.
The purple&green one.
My R52 thinkpad has 2 USB sockets.
One occupied with the Adesso adapter (for keyboard+mouse)
The other occupied with the laser-printer's USB connector

#14 ·

I see.

How many USB sockets do 2010-2012 Netbooks have (approx)?

Also, are they USB 3.0?

If they're USB 3.0, would the ADP-PU21 purple/green adapter be compatible with the USB 3.0 sockets?

Also:

Can I plug my blue Ethernet connector into 2010-2012 Netbooks?
Ditto re: my HP 1012 laserjet USB connector?

#15 ·

2010 They will most likely be usb2 the adapter should work as should the printer and there will be Ethernet the amount of usb ports would depend on the make and model.
2012 may have usb 3 again it depends on the make and model your best option would be 2012 since they are 1 newer and some places may still have stock,the 2010 would more than likely be refurbished.

#16 ·

The number of usb sockets vary by brand/model. It's typically 2 or 4.

Unless they are high end models, they will likely be USB2. Regardless, USB3 ports are backward compatible.

Ethernet ports are standard and unchanged, regardless of year.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks guys :kool:
I appreciate the info. for if I get the chance to shop around. I never owned a netbook & concerned the text may be too tiny for my eyes. I'm thinking maybe HP mini or something with Intel-Atom and 1.66ghz may not be too overpowering for me.

I'm like an AA battery. If you put an AA-operated analog clock within a short distance of a computer (or microwave), then the clock speeds up, and the battery dies quickly.

Conversely, some people are actually like high-frequency computers.
They actually cause watch batteries to die very quickly, and they also interfere with street-lights. (They're called SLIders "street light interference"). Over the years, I've read of computer-programs malfunctioning in the presence of a specific programmer, and homeopathic "memory" wiped out in the presence of one specific lab. tech. who was a meticulous biologist.

#20 · (Edited)
Sorry about the delay (been busy) but I'm wondering whether huge websites don't extremely truncate on tiny tablets & netbooks?

It seems an impossibility to have sites appear normal, if they're usually geared for humongous screens. Even on my 15" screen, when I click the PLUS key, approx. 10 percent of display disappears at the right, and I need to scroll horizontally to view it.

More often, I need to click the MINUS key in order to display an entire Invoice, or else in order to display Vital buttons (such as a SUBMIT button) which otherwise is outside the screen's boundaries.

I'm wondering if there's any clear YouTube Demo, which demonstrates how text from huge websites displays Invoices & SUBMIT buttons on various devices, such as netbooks & tablets.

I'm also wondering if there's any low-watt Netbooks or Tablets which offer Electronic Ink (or can turn off backlighting the way Pixel Qi does)
But even if so, it's probably way expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.