Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

skype help

This is a discussion on skype help within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Gudday I am posting my question here as I don't know where else to ask it and the search function

Old 08-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Gudday
I am posting my question here as I don't know where else to ask it and the search function for me does not seem to be working. Mods, if this is the wrong forum feel free to move it (but let me know please where it went to?)

I am thinking of using Skype but have some questions. (If answered elsewhere then please point me to the thread)

1. Do we need an account with a VoIP provider (except perhaps Skype themselves)?
2. Can we call people who have only POTS?
3. Is the cost based on time or bandwidth or both?
4. Is there some rule of thumb concerning bandwidth use i.e. 1 min of conversation = x MBs? I ask this because I have a bandwidth capped broadband service.
5. Can we call overseas and STD (across Australia for instance)?
6. I have seen Skype phones with USB connection and a CD/DVD. Is that all the hardware needed?

Old 08-18-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

does'nt westnet have a voip service,i dumped skype for voip

Old 08-19-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
does'nt westnet have a voip service,i dumped skype for voip
Not as yet.
Though it was a good guess of yours that I am with Westnet.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vista and Skype
Every time a friend of mine uses Skype her whole system freezes up. Any ideas would be appreciated. She needs Skype for a job. TIA.
Gypsywind Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 3 08-08-2007 07:12 AM
very slow PC (slow start-up and shutdown) need to click shutdown twice
Hello! My PC has gotten very very slow (esp. during start-up and shutdown). What's weird is that i always needed to click the shutdown and turn-off button twice for it to start shutting down. The first instance that i click turn-off, it does nothing. And during shutdown, there's always this...
zbabe Inactive Malware Help Topics 18 07-26-2007 05:27 AM
about skype?
i have installed skype software yesterday, i read that calling from skype to skype is absolutely free, but is it free when calling from australia(skype) to any other parts in the world? e.g calling from my skype(australia) to my friend skype who's in(england or anywhere)?????? please confirm. any...
4u111 Windows XP Support 2 11-21-2006 06:16 AM
Skype VoIP
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post the thread. I heard a lot of people talking about Skype. Actually, I'm kind a know how it works, but I just still confusing about some other things. So, what is the tool I need to buy instead of installing the...
ronnyr Other Hardware Support 1 05-17-2006 10:19 AM
Skype TelBox (USB-B2K) NEED HELP!!
Hi all, I have on my desk several recently purchased Skype USB Telboxes (See how they're supposed to work HERE) I've been tampering with this damn thing for WEEKS now... and simply cannot get the bugger to register / work with Skype. I've installed SkypeMate (& SkyFree) and was under the...
DeaconXS Other Hardware Support 0 02-15-2006 03:10 AM