I am posting my question here as I don't know where else to ask it and the search function for me does not seem to be working. Mods, if this is the wrong forum feel free to move it (but let me know please where it went to?)
I am thinking of using Skype but have some questions. (If answered elsewhere then please point me to the thread)
1. Do we need an account with a VoIP provider (except perhaps Skype themselves)?
2. Can we call people who have only POTS?
3. Is the cost based on time or bandwidth or both?
4. Is there some rule of thumb concerning bandwidth use i.e. 1 min of conversation = x MBs? I ask this because I have a bandwidth capped broadband service.
5. Can we call overseas and STD (across Australia for instance)?
6. I have seen Skype phones with USB connection and a CD/DVD. Is that all the hardware needed?