Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Seconds monitor dvi adapters not working

This is a discussion on Seconds monitor dvi adapters not working within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to save money on a DVI cable because I have some adapters lying around but they don't seem

Old 04-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

I want to save money on a DVI cable because I have some adapters lying around but they don't seem to work. I have a DVI-I and DVI-D adapter and a VGA cable. I tried pretty much every configuration with my DVI-I and VGA ports from my monitor. To my DVI-I and DVI-D ports on my videocard(GTX 660 TI). Is this just not possible or are the adapters busted?

Thanks in advance.
Niirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

You note this is the second monitor, have you tried testing your cable + adapters on the primary? That will confirm or rule out a cable + adapter issue.

Also, as to the video card, it would need to be a DVI-I port, assuming the port even uses analog (not all of them do). VGA is analog. DVI is digital, but can pass analog.

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

So I just went from my videocard DVI-D port through the adapter to my VGA port on my primary monitor and got image. But when I moved the VGA plug from my primary monitor to my secondary I didn't get any image. So I'm assuming my secondary monitor cannot pass the digital image? However why doesn't it work when I use the DVI-I port on my secondary monitor then? Just to clarify it would be going from DVI-I (monitor) to DVI-D (card).
Niirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

VGA is analog, so no, it doesn't carry a digital signal.

Ref here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector

If the same cable/adapter is working on one monitor but that the other, I'd suspect a faulty monitor.

JimE is offline   Reply With Quote