Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Second monitor

SOLVED 
812 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RevancheRM 
#1 ·
Okay, first off: from perusing the Google results, I'm pleased this friendly forum is here. I'm hoping you can help me out with this minor problem.

Dell Inspiron Win10 (my homework computer)
Monitor 1: HP f2105
Monitor 2: Asus VH238

I realized, while researching/working on my mid-term essay, that I would benefit from hooking up that spare monitor I last used during the summer to build a PC. I brought it out, saw I had the open HDMI on the Dell, and bought a new cable to join the two together.

Win10 detects the monitor, but it doesn't activate (it disappears when HDMI pulled). I've extended the display to both; I've re-booted numerous times; I updated drivers (only 9-day old BIOS update was needed).

Monitor 1 cannot accept HDMI, while the VGA cable does work for either monitor.

Please...any suggestions? Ideas?

#5 · (Edited)
I just re-tried that, Jim, based on your post. I disconnected the VGA from Mon1, while the HDMI remained connected to Mod2, with no change in status. Mod2 didn't even blink.

Note: this is a desktop Inspiron. When I bought the hdmi cable at my FLN computer supply store, they did use an extremely small convertible laptop/tablet to demonstrate to me how easy it would be to set up the second monitor; that's why I'm a bit surprised to see it won't work on a desktop just as easily.

#6 ·
Unless you were connecting/disconnecting with the PC powered off, when using HDMI, you may need to reboot.

Test the (HDMI) monitor and cable on another computer or device to verify if it works. If it still doesn't work, you have a faulty cable or monitor HDMI port.

If it does work, then you PC issue. Video drivers or faulty HDMI port on the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.