Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAM Problem...

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Blond_One 
#1 ·
So i got some new RAM from ebay, 1gb pc2700 DDR333 184 pin to be precise. This is exactly the same as the chip i already had in except that was only 512mb while the new one is 1gb.

First i just plugged the new RAM in the free slot (theres 2 on my motherboard), this got nothing but whirring and a single beep, no signal to the monitor or normal clicking or fan speed changes. So i took it back out and tried it as it was originaly again, and all was normal. So i took out my original chip and put in the new one in its place, and all worked fine, but it only registeres as 512mb (it should be 1024mb) and i didnt get a screen telling me iv added more ram (im told i should see this, iv never installed ram before you see... first time for everything). So i took that out and tried it on its own in the other slot (the slot i originaly put it into when my original chip was in the other slot), and got the whirring without monitor signal or clicking or fan changes again. So then i tried the new ram in the slot the original ram was in, and my old ram in the other slot, and it works but i get 512mb only.

Sorry if thats a bit confusing

I figure i have two problems:
1. The guy who sold me the new ram has given my 512mb instead of 1024mb
2. One of the ram slots on my motherboard doesnt work

But, as is usualy the case, i am probably wrong...

Right now i running it just as it was before i started.

Any ideas from you seasoned techies out there?

BTW my specs are this:

ASRock K8Upgrade 760GX
AMD Sempron 2600+ socket 754 (1.6ghz core, but i overclocked it to 2.1ghz)
512mb DDR333 PC2700 RAM running at 200mhz
Radeon X800XL AGP 256mb (overclocked slightly, the XL doesn't OC for crap)

See less See more
#2 ·
Try setting your board to default values. You may also want to try something like this if you have 3+ slots: try placing it in the first, skip the second, and place the 2nd stick in the 3rd slot. I had to do that on my board to make it work correctly. A BIOS upgrade may also be necessary.

#3 ·
Just tried reseting the bios, no good. I even tried reseting it with all the ram in there by taking out the CMOS battery for 30 mins, still nothing, and iv only got 2 slots. What was that about a bios upgrade? Would i have to replace the bios chip or can i download a new one and flash it to it like with a graphics card (or something)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.