Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

New TV is blurry in SD but fine in HD

This is a discussion on New TV is blurry in SD but fine in HD within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys ive recently upgraded my fiance's mothers TV, she was using an old hd ready 32 inch tv with

Old 01-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hi guys ive recently upgraded my fiance's mothers TV, she was using an old hd ready 32 inch tv with freeview built in plugged into an aerial outside the house...the picture was kinda poor because it was a cheap tv, it was still clear though and nice enough..

I recently bought her a 40 inch samsung tv which was about 280 quid

Buy SAMSUNG UE40J5100 40" LED TV | Free Delivery | Currys

when i went to the store it was setup in HD and it looked magnificent all the reviews were brilliant and it seemed like a steal for the price...when i got it home and set it up and tuned it in (built in freeview) the HD still looked amazing but the SD channels looked truly awful and i mean its so blurry its unwatchable you literally cant make out peoples faces

All shes doing is moaning at me all the time and i was just wondering if you guys could explain why its happening at least so i can then explain to her..

I think its something to do with the low res signal from the aerial being upscaled by the tv causing the blur, but my fiances 32inch upstairs tv doesnt have this problem , that is samsung and full hd too

any advice will help thanks
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #2
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

Hi Reece12sky
You could try testing the new Samsung upstairs, where t'other TV works OK - If the Samsung is OK there, it's most likely the downstairs signal is too weak for the TV. If it's still blurry up there, contact store for a replacement, there's a fault with the TV

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
WereBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The SD is coming from a different direction. You need a rotor or a non-directional antenna.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBo View Post
Hi Reece12sky
You could try testing the new Samsung upstairs, where t'other TV works OK - If the Samsung is OK there, it's most likely the downstairs signal is too weak for the TV. If it's still blurry up there, contact store for a replacement, there's a fault with the TV
hi i did try this and its still blurry...im going to contact samsung i think
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
The SD is coming from a different direction. You need a rotor or a non-directional antenna.
i dont know what you mean could you explain a little bit more
Old 01-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If the SD channels are even a few degrees different from the HDs then the antenna is having trouble receiving their signal. The good (maybe bad) thing about HD (digital) is it's all or nothing,

Old 01-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
If the SD channels are even a few degrees different from the HDs then the antenna is having trouble receiving their signal. The good (maybe bad) thing about HD (digital) is it's all or nothing,
How can that be the case though since the old tv worked perfectly fine viewing SD channels? On the same antenna..

I thought it was how the new TV takes the SD and upscales it to HD but I guess if this was the case the problem would be all over the Internet for this model

So why did the old tv work just fine then? Nothing changed with the antenna I remember some guy came out to the house when TV switched from analogue signal to digital and installed all new cables and antennas

* also the upstairs antenna is on the opposite side of the house and it doesn't matter whether it's plugged into the upstairs or downstairs the problem still persists...yet the other tv another Samsung 32 inchmodel works perfectly fine both downstairs and upstairs and they are very similar tvs both Samsung both with the same freeview HD
Reece12sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Are you sure you have an SD tuner? Not all worldwide sets do. If yes, it's defective and you should get it replaced under warranty.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #9
Team Manager
- Hardware Team
- Home Support

My System

Corday our UK 'Freeview' system has HD and SD channels on the 1 platform, similar to Netflix or Amazon-Prime etc; the only difference is that it's a digital transmission, so it doesn't need an internet connection plus it's free - Freeview

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
WereBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

OK. Different in some countries. The situation is then simply that larger screens, (LED) get poorer SD picture, but OP should still attempt to make adjustments.