Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My monitor goes to black and fans speeding up when playing games

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
For the pass month I get this error when I'm playing games.
First time it happen I was playing Watch Dogs 1 and after just 5-8 mins my monitors goes to black and I can hear the pc's fans are speeding up, and then it will reboot.
I have no problem with other games: CSGO, BF4, Overwatch, WoW.
Now that BF1 is out I get the same problem. After 8-12 min the error happens.

My rig:
Asus SABERTOOTH X79 ATX S2011
Corsair DDR3 PC1866 16GB kit CL9 VENGEANCE
MSI GeForce GTX780 Ti GAMING 3G TwinFrozr4
Corsair CX750M 750W ATX23
Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz 12MB Box S2011 OC
Arctic Freezer i30 Cooler S2011/1156/1155
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB SATA6 Basic kit 540/520
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA6 64MB 7200RPM
Windows 10

Its not a overheating problem and I tried to swap the Power Supply, also a 750W (Cant remember the brand, I'm at my work computer right now)
Everything seems to work just fine with the other Power Supply, but after an hour and a half playing BF1 the same problem happen again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there,

Just to verify, so this issue only happens when you're playing Watch Dogs 1 or BF1 correct?

Hmmmmm.....are you using the latest video card drivers for your computer? If not, check out Nvidia's website and download the latest drivers for your video card.

Hope everything works out well for you.

#3 ·
It has happen when I played Watch Dogs, BF1 and a small indie game called Event[0]

The video card drivers are up to date.

I have tried to replace my video card with a Geforce GTX 295 and updated the video card driver to date.
Its too old to start BF1 and Watch Dogs, so cant test with those.
I tried to run BF4 and at the second I join a multiplayer server, the monitor went to black but the PC's fans didnt speed up, but it seems to be the same problem like before.
I'm about to ran out of ideas what else I can test, to see what cause the problem.

#5 ·
It does sound like a overheating problem but I download hwmonitor and looked closely and the CPU does not reach over 50C and GPU 80C

I did a ram test with memtest86.
I didnt have time for a full test but I ran the test for 40 mins and found no error.

I checked and I had Windows auto restarts on error disabled and I turn it off but still gets the error when playing BF1 for 15 mins

#8 ·
So I think I'm getting closer to the problem.
I downloaded Futuremark 3DMark Demo on Steam and did a test on my own GPU (GTX 780 ti) and got the same error when it was still testing the GPU.

And just to make sure I tried with anohter GPU in my PC, a Geforce GTX 980.
I played BF1 for an hour and didnt get any problem.

Looks like maybe the problem is with the GPU.

#9 ·
Sounds like it.

And just for clarity, "heat issues" don't always mean the hardware is overheating. It can also mean the hardware gets warm/hot and stops functioning properly. This is usually an indication of a damaged chip or solder joint.

Time to splurge on an upgrade/replacement. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.