Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My front panel audio jacks have stopped working

753 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  WereBo 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've got a weird problem, not sure what's going on.

I have a set of headphones that I plug into my front panel audio jacks. Recently, the sound suddenly stopped on the left driver--but returned if I pressed down on the audio cable where it plugs into the jack.

And then the sound also stopped in the right driver too.

I tested the headphones on my phone and they work fine. I tested another set of headphones on the front panel audio jack and they didn't work either.

I switched to the mic in jack on the front panel and programmed it to the headphones. This worked fine, until I unplugged the headphones to listen to my main speakers (which are plugged into the motherboard's audio jacks in the back). When I plugged the headphones in again, the left driver had no sound--unless I pressed down on the wire again.

Any ideas what's causing my front panel audio jacks to die like this? Is there any way to fix it, or are they both just dead now?

This is my system:

CPU: Core i5-6500 3.2GHz
Motherboard: Asus H170 PRO Gaming
RAM: Kingston HyperX-Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2133
HDD: Western Digital WD2003FZEX (two of these plus a 1TB HDD)
GPU: Asus Turbo-OC GTX 970
PSU: SeaSonic G-650W 80Plus Gold Modular
Case: CoolerMaster RC-K282-KKN1 Gaming Case

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Mandragora :wave:

It looks like the h'phone socket has died, having checked your h'phones with different equipment :sad: - The socket has a small 'switch-contact' fitted, to turn the speakers off when a h'phone plug is inserted, which might be clogged with dust or dirt and stopping the switch making contact. Try repeatedly plugging/unplugging the headphones (with the PC off) to dislodge any icky stuff, or a couple of blasts with a tin of canned-air.

Otherwise, the case should have a 2-year warranty so it's worth checking your receipt date, otherwise try contacting CoolerMaster to see if you can get either a replacement socket (might be tricky to fit and very likely needs a soldering-iron), or the connection-panel (should just swap with the panel with the dead socket). You might find they only supply the entire front-panel only though.

#3 ·
I'll try giving it a blast with air, but yes I think you're right.

I'm actually tempted to get a new case, a bigger one. The components fit all right, but the cable control is tight. Might be worth taking this opportunity to upgrade if I can't fix it.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.