Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Mouse movement causes CPU usage to increase to 100

This is a discussion on Mouse movement causes CPU usage to increase to 100 within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This problem started occuring about 3 days ago. Whenever I move my mouse cursor, the CPU usage of whatever program

Old 04-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

This problem started occuring about 3 days ago. Whenever I move my mouse cursor, the CPU usage of whatever program the cursor moves on causes that particular program to spike to 100%

For example, if I have firefox up, simply moving the mouse cursor around the firefox interface causes it to spike in my taskmanager.

If I have Windows Media Player running, if I move the mouse to rewind or fast foward the program, WMP spikes in my taskmanager.

Hell, if I move my mouse over taskmanager, taskmanagers usage suddenly goes up to 100%.

This problem doesn't occur if I move the mouse over a program that is not in the forefront (IE, moving it over a background firefox while taskmanager is in the forefrount does not cause firefox to spike.)

I have scanned for malware and viruses and turned up nothing. I have also switched mouses and ports and the problem still occurs. Some help would be nice.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi,

What process in task manager is using up the CPU usage? You should be able to find out by clicking on the % column to sort the processes by CPU usage.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

It's whatever process is currently at the forefront.

If I have taskmanager in the background but can still see it and I have another program in the forefront, if I move the mouse over the forefront, that program will spike.

So basically, in taskmanager, any program that is currently being manipulated by the mouse is at 100%.

If I bring taskmanager up and start to click the programs on it, taskmanager itself will become 100% (since it is at the forefront and the cursor is moving)
Old 04-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

I think you have a malware problem. Even though you already ran scans, follow these 5 steps. Then, post a HijackThis log in the HJT Analysis forum.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/secu...sting-log.html

When the Security Team has cleared your log as malware free, come back to this thread. I will know if you have posted a response.