Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Memory stick vs External hard drive

This is a discussion on Memory stick vs External hard drive within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to get something that i could use for backup/restore data (picture, games, videos, musics, etc) I had to

Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

I want to get something that i could use for backup/restore data (picture, games, videos, musics, etc)

I had to go through pretty frequent reinstalling os and whatnot that wiped out whole stuffs..

Im tired of redownloading and reinstalling things, so id like to store them..

So.. which one do u think its better? If theres difference, id prefer that could send/receive files faster..!!!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Registered Member

1TB and larger External Hard Drives are quite affordable now. I would look at getting one of those. Do some research and find a good back-up application.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdghk0831 View Post
... id prefer that could send/receive files faster..!!!
Then you might want to consider upgrading to USB3 and using that... (i.e., buy a PCI-E card that gives USB3 functionality to PC).

Realistically, it is hard to say that one is faster than another without comparing two chosen ones (USB flash drive is not inherently faster than USB hard drive or vice versa). There are other options, such as eSATA hard drives for external storage...

eSATA should be faster than USB2, although your chosen eSATA device might (might) be far slower than the USB one, so it is not that simple.

It also depends on your budget on potential devices you could have, plus your current computer setup...

Really if it is just for backup, it should not matter too much what you pick, just get the size you need (I assume you will not be performing backups every 5 minutes when I say this...).
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bowles

Then you might want to consider upgrading to USB3 and using that... (i.e., buy a PCI-E card that gives USB3 functionality to PC).

Realistically, it is hard to say that one is faster than another without comparing two chosen ones (USB flash drive is not inherently faster than USB hard drive or vice versa). There are other options, such as eSATA hard drives for external storage...

eSATA should be faster than USB2, although your chosen eSATA device might (might) be far slower than the USB one, so it is not that simple.

It also depends on your budget on potential devices you could have, plus your current computer setup...

Really if it is just for backup, it should not matter too much what you pick, just get the size you need (I assume you will not be performing backups every 5 minutes when I say this...).
The reason I started to feel like wanting external device is that I felt tired of redownloading softwares I use, which is at least around 5~6gb.. downloading that, would take at least 6~8hrs which is the best case without being "downloading interrupted"..

You mentioned about USB3 device.. So you're saying USB3 is typically "faster" than USB2? my laptop has USB3 port, and i didnt know the difference between USB2 and 3....
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

The most effective backup, that I have found, is an external Hdd and use a imaging software and store the image(s) on the external drive. Disconnect the external drive when it's not in use to insure the data is safe from any intrusions. I make a new image about twice a month.
Acronis is a very reliable imaging software that SeaGate and WD offer a free version of.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

For backups, use HDD's. Either internal or external.

As for software downloads, I use DVD-RW discs. Then as the software changes or updates, you can simply rewrite the DVD.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #7
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdghk0831 View Post
...So you're saying USB3 is typically "faster" than USB2? my laptop has USB3 port, and i didnt know the difference between USB2 and 3....
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/usb-3-0-vs-usb-2-0-much-204216261.html
"10 times faster" on paper"
"In addition to the speed gains, USB 3.0 is a step forward in other ways. USB 3.0 allows simultaneous reading and writing between two connected devices."