Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Locking and shutdown issues

737 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Bee 
#1 ·
My computer has been intermitently locking up or rebooting itself for a few weeks now. There seems to be no specific reason or program running when this happens.

I run Vista Home Premium SP2 on an HP m8200n, 3-gig, 32 bit, AMD 64x2 3Ghz processor.

Did have some virus, but I believe it is all gone now. Any suggestions on how to correct this? Your expertise is appreciated. Mike...

#2 ·
Could be any number of things. Check Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging any errors. As for the reboots, disable the auto restart and you should then see the BSOD. The STOP or ERROR code will point you to what is causing the problem.

#3 ·
Hi Dogg,
Thanks for your help. I attached the Event Log in a .txt format, as I couldn't attach one in .evtx format. Is there anything there that gives any clues? Lately locking up is the biggest problem. When it locks up, it can't be cleared with a control/alt /del, as I lose mouse and keyboard. Thanks, Mike...

Attachments

#4 ·
Have you added/changed any hardware from the original configuration?
Is the CPU heatsink/fan free from dust buildup?
Are you absolutely certain you eliminated any/all virus/spyware apps?
Malwarebytes, ran in Safe Mode is a good all around cleaner.

#6 ·
OK, the computer went down hill yesterday to the point where it wouldn't boot at all, nor would I even see the HP screen that comes up before it boots windows. It is killing my productivity at work, so I pulled the hard drive out and connected it to another machine so I could access any of the data on there. (I also use Carbonite off-site backup,) The hard drive works fine as a 2nd drive on the other machine. Will pull out anything I might be able to use and trash the motherboard. Ordered another box from Tiger direct with Windows 7 installed. Will be happy to get rid of Vista, I HOPE!!!! Thank you to those that offered their assistance. I have another machine with a problem, but I will start another thread for that. Thanks again... Mike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.