Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Left button of mouse stops working after a while

846 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
Hi folks, glad I found my way to this forum. I use a Sony Vaio laptop with 2 OSs installed, Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu. There is a funny problem that I have been having for a while now. When starting Windows XP, the left button of my mouse (USB) does not work, no matter which USB port I use for it. The laptop has been formatted (my gfs old laptop) and XP has been recently installed. Before formatting, she had the same problem with it.

I have recently installed Ubuntu next to it, and when I start Ubuntu the mouse works fine for a while, then suddenly the left button of the mouse will stop working. There is nothing I can do except restarting the laptop, after which it will work again for a while.

I haven't got a clue as to what could be causing this problem. The only other problem I have with the pc, is that the fan makes a lot of noise and needs to be replaced. But I don't get the typical overheating issues so I think it still adequately cools the system, it just makes a lot of noise.

Any help or hints are appreciated... :grin:

#3 ·
I don't know what would cause the problem. It's not OS or driver related, it's a hardware issue.

My only thought would be the mouse. I don't know of anything (aside from an OS issue within Windows) which would cause the problem. So it's likely motherboard/BIOS related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.