Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCD monitor cannot turn on, already replaced blown capacitors

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JimE 
#1 ·
First of all, thanks for taking the time to help!

The monitor is an Asus VH238H. I leave the monitor on almost always (which probably is a reason why it died), but it stopped working right after I turned it off for maybe 2-3 minutes, then tried to turn it back on, resulting in just a black screen. Note that it can still turn on and stay on, but nothing appears on the screen. I'm not sure if this is important because this will change later on.

I eventually opened it up and found one blown capacitor, which I replaced. When I tried to power it on again, the monitor now makes a faint, short squeak then powers off and stays off until I try to power it on again.

Did I maybe mess something else up during the process of replacing the single capacitor to cause this change? All of the other capacitors have flat, indented tops, could they still have gone bad? If it's not the capacitors, what should be my next step in trying to fix it?

#4 ·
I have some experience soldering and the iron only made contact with the board minimally. The iron never stayed in contact with the board for more than a couple of seconds. But I'll keep this in mind going forward.

my opinion is it will be better off getting a new monitor.
Replacing it or taking it to a repair shop would be my final options, but I wanted to try and fix it myself if I could. This monitor is actually newer than the other two that I also use. All of them gets the same amount of daily use, but this one decided to poop out for some reason.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The warranty has already expired unfortunately. The capacitor has been installed with the correct polarity and has the same μF as the previous (although the new one has a higher voltage rating, which I've read should be okay).

#7 ·
Blown components are often just the weakest link and not always the actual fault. Without schematics and test equipment, you aren't likely to make any progress. And as noted, it's more cost effective to simply replace it. A repair shop will charge most, if not more than the cost of a new model (with full warranty).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.