Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Laptop screen hinge popped out of place

This is a discussion on Laptop screen hinge popped out of place within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My sister's laptop's right hinge (or whatever, the thing that connects the screen to the keyboard) is popped out of

Old 08-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

My sister's laptop's right hinge (or whatever, the thing that connects the screen to the keyboard) is popped out of place. She said when she opened it, she heard a pop, and then she noticed it. I don't know if it happened when she opened it, or if it was already (and it popped because it was moving), or what. It looks like if you just pushed down and a little to the left on it, it'd go back into place, but we've tried, and we can't get it. It's too hard to close/open it now, so she has to put it on the shelf instead of in the case.
It's a Dell Latitude (not sure what the model number is).

Should we try pushing it harder, or is it just busted, or what?

If needed, I will take a picture of it.

Thanks.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

If it popped out, it's busted. You can try to force it back in. And if it goes back it, it may still be useable for awhile. But even if it goes back into place, it is not "fixed" or back to normal...it is broken.

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
If it popped out, it's busted. You can try to force it back in. And if it goes back it, it may still be useable for awhile. But even if it goes back into place, it is not "fixed" or back to normal...it is broken.
But if it's back in, what's the difference? Will it still pop out eventually?
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

It should be attached in some fashion in the slot where it inserts. As it has come loose, it is no longer properly attached. So even though it's put back in, chances are it won't be properly attached any longer and it won't be as strong as it is supposed to be.

Do your best to get it back into place. My point being, don't be surprised if it continues to pop back out.

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
It should be attached in some fashion in the slot where it inserts. As it has come loose, it is no longer properly attached. So even though it's put back in, chances are it won't be properly attached any longer and it won't be as strong as it is supposed to be.

Do your best to get it back into place. My point being, don't be surprised if it continues to pop back out.
Okay. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

i would have the hinge replaced. if you keep opening and closing it. or even just moving the laptop around it could make the other hinge fail and damage the wires that feed the screen power and video.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote