Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Keyboard malfunction?

This is a discussion on Keyboard malfunction? within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having a weird issue with a computer. It is running XP. This computer is used by multiple users.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I am having a weird issue with a computer. It is running XP. This computer is used by multiple users. One user can enter login information using the keyboard, but can not use the keyboard after this point. (ie in any office program, or internet explorer). The isssue seems to be specific to this user because no other users report a problem and I was able to log on into it and use the keyboard normally. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Is it possible you have a defective user? j/k

What type of keyboard? (ps3 usb)

Does this user attach any jumpdrives or additional hardware?

Does this user run any software that the other users do not?

Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

I am leaning towards a virus since its isolated to 1 user? All of the software is universal...basically only use the office suite. There is no other accesories attached apart from a cheapie usb card reader. The keyboard is a USB keyboard. I have swapped out the keyboard for another and still the same issue. Thanks
Old 08-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Just to clarify these are different windows accounts as opposed to logging onto a server?

Have you tried a ps2 keyboard or usb to ps2 converter?

I'm not familiar with any type of virus that would disable the keyboard only on a specific user with xp. In fact if it is virus or software related then it would really have to reside in that specific users documents folder I would think. It's been years and service packs since I ran multiple users on any of my pcs but I know when I did the only thing xp kept seperate from users were the documents folders.

Log in on the users account and when the keyboard isn't responding check device manager for any disabled/malfunctioning devices. If there are none verify that the keyboard is present at least? Also check the keyboard settings in control panel.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd2009 View Post
I am leaning towards a virus since its isolated to 1 user?
I'm leaning in the same direction.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

FYI - for all that were trying to help me on this. I resolved the issue. Under the start-control-accessibility options menu, the filterKeys option was checked. Unchecking this solved the issue.