Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Is my monitor dying?

This is a discussion on Is my monitor dying? within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I couldn't find a better place to post this so sorry if it is in a bad place. More and

Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

I couldn't find a better place to post this so sorry if it is in a bad place.

More and more I am convinced that something is wrong with my monitor. it seems to be getting darker and darker by the day. I have adjusted every brighting setting that I could find.

I am not sure what kind of monitor it is all I know is that it is a large one like a TV (not a flat one) and it says Gateway on it. I looked in control pannel > Display > Settings > Monitor, it says that I have a plug and play monitor.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Old 01-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

about how old is it? maybe try it on another computer to see if you have the same problems.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would definitely try another computer, but when the screen starts to darken and you've maxed out the brightness control. That is a sure sign the monitor has a problem. Since the lifespan of monitors varies greatly, if you've had it for a couple of years or more it's probably out of warranty, but check your warranty anyway. You can ride it out until it get too dark or just replace it. Mike
Old 01-29-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well, I think its old, I know for sure it is over 5 years easy. My computer is custom built but nothing fancy. I found something that says it refreshes at 85 hrtz. I dont have another computer to hook it up to.

If it is truly going bad, do you have any suggestions on another one that is inexpensive but adequate.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Something like this would work well for you, not too expensive but still has 5ms response time. The reviews are pretty darn good, 96% rated it very good. Mike

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254005
Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Registered Member

Could you explain to me the pros and cons of an LCD monitor vs the old kind like I have? The man who built my computer said that "some of the old timer computer geeks prefer the old kind because they are faster". I don't know anything about this matter and I need to learn from the bottom up.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

To me the main advantages of LCD are more viewing area, energy efficient, and alot smaller on the desk. Mike

LCD vs CRT