Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friend's Computer Problem

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Wizmo 
#1 ·
I'm here on my friend's behalf since he has terrible internet at the moment.

He recently got his Gateway GT5652 desktop computer back from a friend of his and something is not working right. Whenever he tries to boot up his computer nothing happens other than he can hear the fan turning on. There's no display on his monitor. He checked inside of the computer and he can see this cabled labeled "P6." It doesn't seem to be connected to anything, so that might be the source of the problem. If that is the problem, where would he have to place it?
If any of you ask me something there will be a slight delay since I'm talking to him about it through a messenger app.
I'm not tech savvy myself, so sorry if this is posted under the wrong sub forum.

Thanks for your time.

#3 ·
My friend just received it from the guy and as soon as he booted up his computer for the first time these issues happened. From my knowledge my friend didn't have any issues with his desktop before he lent it to the guy. So, yes he did.

The computer doesn't beep at all.
The monitor works fine, but it doesn't detect his computer. The monitor just displays "No Signal" and goes into sleep mode.

#7 ·
Humor me with this suggestion. Remove the system RAM and clean the contacts lightly with an eraser. This is a common cause of system failure to boot, especially if the system has been moved recently. This is the problem in 40-50% of the "boot failure" issues I see in my work. It happens across all brands and types of systems and is more common than most realize.

Poly - meaning many
tics - meaning blood-sucking parasites

#8 ·
Well, I just got done talking to my friend. He has a suspicion that the friend who he lent his computer to took away a computer part. My friend said that the "cover for the thing where p5 and p6 is gone and so is where the p6 plugs into." For now I think what my friend is going to do is ask the guy if he took any parts. I'll come back to this thread if anything happens and/or if I need more help. Thanks.

Here's a picture of my friend's computer if it helps.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
P6 is a SATA power connector. Would only have been used if there had been a second hard drive installed.

PC needs a good cleaning and cable routing is a mess.

#11 · (Edited)
Can you say "understatement?" I don't see any 'pregnant' filter capacitors, but the photos aren't that clear. I'd still try cleaning the RAM contacts, along with a general blow-out of the extensive dust. To clean out dirty systems I use a dive tank with a blowgun attached to a first stage, which limits the air pressure. :thumb:

Poly - meaning many
tics - meaning blood-sucking parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.