Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Errors when burning at slow speeds

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Volt-Schwibe 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've tried asking help for many people so far without success.... here's the problem I'm having with my CD-Writer:

I have a HP CD-Writer+ 9300i, using Nero 5.5 latest build and Verbatim DataLife CD-R's on Windows 98se. All of a sudden I'm having Write Errors (Nero's error code: KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR) on 80% of the medium I try if I burn slower than 4x.
Absolutely nothing has changed on my system since the errors started appearing, I simply bought some new packs of the same brands of CD-Rs I've always bought and the errors started.
I've tested different software (CloneCD, Alcohol 120%, CDRWin) and the same error also appears at around the same area of the disc (again, if slower than 4x).
The error doesn't happen to all cd-r's, but if i perform a simulation and the "write error" occurs, no matter how many simulations I run, around the same area of the disc the error will always show up again. In the other hand, if a successful simulation was performed, no matter how many simulations I run after that, no errors will ever occur.
At first it seems, logically, a medium problem. However I've tested such cd-r's on friends' writers and they've simulated fine. Also I've tested different medium brands (TDK, Verbatim and Samsung), and all gave me errors. I've been used to bruning on all of those media before the errors started, so it's not a compatibility problem.

People suggested updating software, writer firmware and such. Since I've had the exact same system before the errors started, I didn't think such stuff would change anything, but I've updated everything anyway (and no, it didn't change anything).

If anyone has any idea on the reason for this problem, please give some tips I know I could stick to burning at faster speeds but I do desperately need to sometimes burn at 1x-2x, don't ask me why... I need to get that fixed.

See less See more
#2 ·
No surprise, high speed readers typically have a bottom end speed of 4x. I'm not sure what nero version you're using, but I can't even select anything slower than 4x with any of my high speed drives and Nero 5.5.10.56. I tried it with both my NEC 2500 DVD+/-RW and my 52x CD-RW drive. 4x is the minimum. I also tried it on another system with a 52x CD-RW drive, same result. Why are you trying to burn slower than 4x? 4x is normally slow enough for quality music, the normal reason for buring slow.

#3 · (Edited)
johnwill said:
No surprise, high speed readers typically have a bottom end speed of 4x.
I have always had this writer for the past 3 years at least (since I bought the writer), I was using the same nero version before the errors started, and up to date I hadn't got any problem when burning at 2x at all.

Why are you trying to burn slower than 4x? 4x is normally slow enough for quality music, the normal reason for buring slow.
OK, the thing is, if I burn at 4x I often get buffer underruns. You see my computer is pre-historical, if I close all damn software (yes through Ctrl+Alt+Del, I know how to do this), even then I get buffer underruns now and then. 8x for example will always give me such problem. I only have 32 MB of memory so you can figure how much my comp sucks. I have zero cash for upgrading, so I really need to be able to burn at 2x because it's the fastest speed my computer can deliver data to the writer without any risk of buffer underruns. :(

Thus help is much appreciated :/

PS: I know the burning works at 4x/8x because out of 2 tries I managed to succesfully end a 4x burn, and 1 out of 5 for 8x. On all tries the simulation went past the region of the disc that usally causes "write error" at 2x or 1x. It always happens at trhe same portion for the same disc (12% on the disc I was testing, others may go as far as 75% before failing, but it always fails at the same percentage).

#5 ·
johnwill said:
I'm going to guess that it might be the media that is the issue. Newer media that records at 48-48-52x probably won't record at 2x all that reliabily. I've never run across this issue, so this is just an educated guess as to what the problem might be.
I've also used the same media for over a year before the errors started (either TDK's or Verbatim's). I think the error is kinda crazy, thanks for trying to help. Anyone has other tips?

#8 ·
It's also possible that the discs are in fact different, even though they are sold under the same line and brand name. They could be from a different factory or they could have changed the dye to improve reliability at high speeds.
I've seen a similar thing happen with a certain line of Made-In-Japan Mitsubishi CD-R's, where the newer version is not as readable in old Audio CD players than the old one.

#9 ·
bbeermat said:
I've seen a similar thing happen with a certain line of Made-In-Japan Mitsubishi CD-R's, where the newer version is not as readable in old Audio CD players than the old one.

i have seen that exact issue, and at the time found a website mentioning the change.

that's why i don't use samsung discs anymore.

from the reviews i have read, verbatim is still the leader in producing the most stable/reliable software storage media.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the replies!
I'll try cleaning the driver (I don't know how to do so myself, I'll find out) and report back :) I'll also try more different brands (I find weird that I always bought both TDK AND Verbatim monthly, and both brands would stop working at the same time).

#11 ·
yeah, both brands used to work, now they don't?

that seriously sounds like the burner has become too dirty to operate all the way to the end of the disc.

for what it's worth, i usually open them up and take a Q-tip to the lens.
(ya know, if it's already useless and all, might as well try anything)

it has worked for me roughly 95% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.