Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Dell computer monitor will not stay on

This is a discussion on Dell computer monitor will not stay on within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a 4 year old Dell desktop running Windows XP with a 17 inch flat screen monitor. The monitor

Old 08-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a 4 year old Dell desktop running Windows XP with a 17 inch flat screen monitor. The monitor button stays green and the computer works in the background. If I shut the monitor off and turn it back on, it will work for a few seconds and then shut off. I found that if I shut down the computer for a few days, it will work for a day and then the problem comes back. I tried attaching another flat screen monitor with the same results.

In trying to find help on the web, I saw one post that said they fixed the problem by replacing the surge detector. I tried that and it did not help. Any ideas?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi wilbob, welcome to TSF

Have you tried a different cable. do you have a different video card card you try? have you cleaned out the computer lately?

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
oscer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

Have you tried another monitor with your PC or tried your monitor on another PC?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Connectivity Issue with a Dell computer - Vista O/S
WIFi is connected, but "DHCP is not pinging" Think a malware was at fault, IT person cleaned viruses, still no connection. get message DNS server 192.168.0.1. No clue, please help, can access internet in Safe mode using ATT Lightning in a cradlepoint modem. works fine for other computer. signal is...
LaLaGrandma Networking Support 27 08-05-2011 06:17 PM
Computer Virus/Trojan Problems
Amateur. First may I thank you for responding to my request for help. I have compiled the following List of Problems that I am aware of on my computer. Windows is being stopped from updating. Trend Micro is being stopped from updating.
Jack Willday Inactive Malware Help Topics 65 07-13-2011 12:57 AM
Can I updgrade a Dell Computer?
I have a Dell Computer that is a several years old and wont support many of the new games (hardware). Thus, I want to upgrade but I am not sure if I can reinstall Windows XP without it barfing on me. I did not come with a OEM CD but came installed with XP and I have the product key but it has...
probablecause Building 6 05-12-2011 04:45 AM
[SOLVED] My computer won't stay on?
This is my first build, and I am a little stumped as to what could be causing this. At first boot the motherboard runs for a second then shuts off, then after 6 seconds or so, it turns back on, runs for 20 seconds then shuts back off. After another 6 seconds it turns back on for 20 seconds then...
skootterk RAM and Power Supply Support 4 01-02-2011 09:38 PM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM