Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Connecting Laptop to TV with HDMI - Resolution Problems.

This is a discussion on Connecting Laptop to TV with HDMI - Resolution Problems. within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently bought a new laptop (Samsung E452-JA01UK) and I've been trying to get it connected to my 32 inch Samsung

Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

Recently bought a new laptop (Samsung E452-JA01UK) and I've been trying to get it connected to my 32 inch Samsung TV (LE32R51BD) so that I can watch some HD movies and TV. I'm connecting it with an HDMI cable. I can get the picture to display on my TV, however I cannot get the resolution correct at all.

The 2 obvious choices are 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720. However, with both of these resolutions there will be part of the screen hanging off the top and side of the TV so that I can't see the full picture.

Trying other resolutions with result in there being large black borders around the edge of the screen and fonts appearing 'squashed' so they don't read correctly.

It seems like it should be an easy thing to fix but I just can't fathom it out. Anybody encountered similar problems and have a solution to this?

Thanks,

Pete.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

The resolution that you select depends upon the native resolution of the TV.

After you have selected the native resolution, you will then likely need to adjust the screen position or size using the video drivers/software. It varies by chipset.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Dogg. Any clues on how to do this? I'm fairly new to Windows 7 and don't know where to find this kind of stuff.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Control Panel / Appearance and Personalization for basic resolution changes. Advanced Settings will take you to the graphics card options, where you should be able to get to the video driver setup (varies from chipset to chipset...I'm using ATI) to make any screen adjustments. Again, you have to verify the native res of the TV.

Google is your Friend!
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread