Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer Peripherals Turn Off But Not Computer Itself?

16K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hello there, recently, I've been having an issue with my PC. Randomly, all peripherals (Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, etc.) turn off, but the computer stays on, and I need to turn it off by flipping the power off, and once I turn it back on, it boots normally and such. Like I said, the times this happens seem to be completely random, though I believe it has only happened at night, but that may be just coincidence. I have used virus scans, and nothing has come up, so I don't believe that's the issue. I haven't made any significant hardware changes recently either. Does anyone have an idea of what could be happening?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Are you shutting it down and it's not shutting down properly? Or it's simply doing this on it's own?

If it's not shutting down properly, most likely culprit is the OS. If it's shutting down on it's own, it could be a hardware or software issue...most likely hardware. Check the Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging any errors.

#4 ·
It happened again, and I noticed more logs that may be related to it

"Details:
A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)"

"The description for Event ID 19011 from source MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMGR cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

(SpnRegister) : Error 1355"

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

#5 ·
"MSSQL$SONY_MEDIAMGR" is a media manager software that is part of Vegas. That error is simply showing that the install failed or didn't finish properly.

How long will it run before shutting down? Is it consistent or simply random? If it's fairly consistent, try booting into Safe Mode and see if it still occurs.

#8 ·
If it were to be one of those, It would most likely be the power supply, as I did get a replacement back in January when I put a new graphics card in.

I've also observed the time the computer has been off has a sort of correlation with the time it will take before it randomly turns off, In the past I usually just kept it off when it would happen, but I've tried to turn it on immediately after, and it seems to last very little time. Which could possibly explain why it's only happened at night.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes, it does.

P.s. Apologies for the late response, was out of power completely for a while due to Hurricane Irene :neutral:

Right, going to give this a bit of a bump, as I've still got some things that I'm curious about. I haven't ordered anything new yet, though I've got my eyes on a Coolermaster PSU.

One interesting thing of note is that I tested it and it also happens on safe mode. I also took someone elses advice and reset my bios, and that did nothing as well.

Should I go ahead and try another PSU? Or should I troubleshoot the motherboard first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.