Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Other Hardware Support

Computer all of a sudden overheating

This is a discussion on Computer all of a sudden overheating within the Other Hardware Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all. Having just come back from my vacation i notice a horrible burning smell coming from my computer which

Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all.

Having just come back from my vacation i notice a horrible burning smell coming from my computer which i can only imagine is burning dust. I checked speedfan and its coming up with my GPU, CPU,Local, Remote 2 basically everything is overheating. I also get this error message from Speedfan (not sure if its related)

Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked nVidia MCP51 SMBUS at $1C00
Linked nVidia MCP51 SMBUS at $1C80
Found nVidia GeForce GTX 260
Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F
Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637
Linked nVidiaI2C2 SMBUS at $3D405051
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=IT8718F
IT8718F found on ISA at $290
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $1C00...
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $1C80...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...
ADT7473 (ID=$73) found on SMBus at $2E
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...
Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D405051...
Found SAMSUNG HD753LJ on AdvSMART
Found ST3160023AS on AdvSMART
Found ACPI temperature
ATK0110 (MB=P5N-ESLI) found on ACPI
ATK0110 at $00 msg : TATK0110Sensor : ERROR creating - Unable to find working interface!
Found Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
End of detection

I would like to upgrade my fans but ive never done this before and im not really sure what would be an upgrade for the fans i have. Could some one please help me with what fans i can upgrade to improve the heat. Ive checked all 4 fans and they are all running (although speedfan only picks up 3 of them) Im going to give my p.c a clean out and no doubt getting rid of the dust will help but id also like to upgrade the fans whilst im at it. Id like to go for quiet yet strong fans (although im not sure powerful and quiet go together very well) Perhaps picking up a cheap water cooling system would be a good option as thats silent? What do you guys think?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Registered Member

The first thing I would do is to open up the case and blow out all the dust. If it has been over a year, you need to blow it out anyway. If blowing it out does not work then start suspecting fans that are either not turning or not turning at full speed.

Hold your fan blades still with a Q-tip so they do not over speed when you blow air near them. Forget the near worthless and expensive cans of compressed air and go to a gas station and really blow it out for the price of a few quarters. Any condensation you see will be gone in less than a day.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

You may also want to check each capacitor in the board. One or more probably is burned out. The top capacitor should looke like a dome instead of flat.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:44 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you all for the replies however my p.c decided to die the other night, i took the side case off and had a big fan blowing into the machine to keep it cool and i could smell a funky burning smell which stupidly i assumed was burning dust, i was hoping to get round to cleaning my p.c up on the weekend. Anywho, long story short it all of a sudden turned itself off and will no longer turn on. There is a light on the motherboard and thats all i ahve to go by. Im guessing my first bet is to open up the power pack and see if theres any obvious damage and hope to god its the power pack thats died on me?
Old 08-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Look at ALL of the components for obvious issues. Motherboard or power supply would be the most likely culprits.

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
Look at ALL of the components for obvious issues. Motherboard or power supply would be the most likely culprits.
Okay, i will do that tonight :). There was some kind of gunk on one of the connectors in my psu but i couldnt see where it had come from and it didnt appear to have leaked out from anything.

When looking at my motherboard would it be obvious if something had gone wrong? I.e something burnt out/exploded etc ? This is really the first time ive opened up a computer so i dont really know what im looking for minus the obvious burnouts.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Moderator,
- Hardware
- Networking

My System

Sometimes it's obvious, but most of the time not.

You can pull it apart and test to try and isolate the problem: > http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...em-262998.html

Google is your Friend!
Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote