Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Comcast nagging about upgrading modem.

4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Brinybay 
#1 ·
We keep getting nagged by Comcast about upgrading our modem. Is this really necessary? Everything is working fine on our end, I don't see any reason to get another modem.

Here's the most recent nag-mail we got. It's vague on why exactly we need another modem, just bs about "..getting the most out of your XFINITY® Internet service." They also nag about it when I call them about other issues, also via snail-mail. We can afford another modem, but if it isn't necessary I don't want to hassle with it just because Comcast says we should.

[Beginning of nag-mail]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2014 7:35 AM
To:
Subject: An Important Message About Your Xfinity Internet Service - Action Needed

[Our name and address deleted]

Dear [Name deleted]

At Comcast, we're constantly improving our Internet network. For you, that means access to faster in-home WiFi speeds, more bandwidth, and more coverage for your whole home. With all of these technology advancements, devices need to be upgraded in order to fully maximize our service offerings.

Our records indicate that your cable modem needs to be upgraded in order to ensure you're getting the most out of your XFINITY® Internet service.

There are several convenient modem replacement options available to you:

Visit a retailer to purchase a new cable modem. You may visit DOCSIS Devices for a list of modems certified to work on our network.

Arrange to lease a cable modem by calling 1-800-XFINITY. You may have a leased modem sent to you with a self-installation kit (shipping and handling charges apply). Standard installation fees apply for professional installation. Applicable equipment charges apply when leasing a modem from Comcast. NOTE: An ordering processing fee may apply when ordering by telephone.

We care about the environment and ask that you properly dispose of your old modem. Check with your local municipality to learn about recycling programs in your area.

If you have any questions, please call: 1-855-242-2876 or chat with us online at: http://www.comcastsupport.com/EOS-EOL

Thank you for being a Comcast customer. We hope you continue to do more of what you love online - stream movies, share videos, gaming, and more - all with the speed and reliability of XFINITY® Internet.

Sincerely,
Comcast
[End of nag-mail]

See less See more
#3 ·
If you are happy with the speeds you are getting, I see no reason to change modems - especially if you are getting close the the bandwidth you are paying for.. However, if you have any issues and you call them for support, they will claim it is a modem issue, even when it is not.

the following article may have something to do with them nagging you. They are wanting to save money on infrastructure and get you to pay for it so others can use your modem.

Comcast Xfinity modems create public Wi-Fi hotspot inside your house

#4 ·
That you very much for the link to that article, that explains it all, now I understand!

If I understand this article correctly, the new setup will have two different wi-fi signals, one public and one private, with the option of turning the public one off. My first reaction is I don't trust it, and certainly have no need for much mobility. I use my smartphone mostly as a phone, and the biggest data useage I have is via the navigation feature. I sometimes use the net in the field, but not often, and the wi-fi connections available are usually so weak they're useless, or they involve too much rig-a-ma-row of signing on and/or downloading an app or something.

My second reaction is based on principle. As you mentioned, why should I pay for Comcast's infrastructure? If they want me to have a public wi-fi access, they should pay me! From the business viewpoint, it's genius, but from the consumer viewpoint, it's bs, especially since they are not offering anything specific like faster speed, a discount on the monthly fee or modem rental.

I'm not real tech savvy, so I'm confused when they say "router" in the article. Our home setup is a customer-owned (not leased) modem shared by my wife and I via a separate router. So are the new modems Comcast wants us to get a combined router and modem?

#5 · (Edited)
there have been a lot of complaints about not being able to disable the public part. some disable it, then it is reactivated with some updated. There is also a class action lawsuit over this in one state

Comcast Faces Lawsuit Over Home Wi-Fi Routers

to answer your question about it being a combo, I cannot answer that. You would have to see what they are offering to rent to you.

#9 ·
Most ISP's typically do this to replace old and outdated hardware. You likely either have an old speed package or your are not getting the full benefit of your available speed. In any case, it's a matter of keeping the hardware connected to their network up to date. Comcast is also likely now using channel bonding to provide faster and/or more consistent speeds in time of congestion. Old hardware doesn't have this ability and can affect the network (ie: you and everyone else).

If you are paying the monthly rental fee, have it replaced.

#10 ·
Fast forward to now. Lately, I often come across something I haven't seen in a long while. When watching various videos online, such as Youtube clips and others, the playback runs faster than the download, resulting in pauses with the little circle in the middle until the download catches up. If this is due to hardware such as the modem, then I'll bite the bullet and replace it.

Separate but related question, does the router need to be replaced as well? We have a Netgear router that I've had for years.

#12 ·
What you describe is buffering. The data is not streaming fast enough, thus the video pauses while the players buffer refills with data.

This could be caused by the source server, or more likely your connectivity to your ISP. Data congestion to your node (ie: typical prime time issue), modem issue, router issue, router wifi/issue.

What package speed are you getting from your ISP? Have you run a speed test to confirm you are getting the speed for which you are paying? Have you run a speed test during the times that the video isn't playing properly? Have you replaced the modem as noted above?

If you are using wifi, try connecting the PC to the router using ethernet cable and test again. That will confirm or rule out a wifi issue.

#14 ·
I got some messages from Time Warner that my modem might need upgrading, as they were increasing the download speed. I must have gotten at least a half dozen of these msgs. I ignored them. About six weeks afterwards, I couldn't get online. I ended up having to buy a new modem. They did increase the d/l speed by about 4 times. Guess my old modem couldn't handle that. It was about 10 years old.

#16 · (Edited)
If the modem was supplied by Comcast and/or you are paying a modem fee, you can simply exchange it for a new model.

As noted above, I would suggest buying your own router and not using a combo unit. If for no other reason than because it is much easier to troubleshoot issues when you have two seperate devices.

#17 ·
If the modem was supplied by Comcast and/or you are paying a modem fee, you can simply exchange it for a new model.

As noted above, I would suggest buying your own router and not using a combo unit. If for no other reason than because it is much easier to trouble issues when you have two seperate devices.
We bought our own modem and router. Comcast does give information on what to buy, should we so choose, which we do, and I'm fairly certain the local Best Buy would know which one to get (provided you ask the right person). Since it seems like they're constantly nickel, dime, and dollaring the the price of the internet and TV connection, we don't care to rent one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.